Pony Time study block instated soon

Mira LaNasa, Layout Editor

Infographic by Mira LaNasa

With the freshman moving up to the high school next year many changes are being made. Among them, administration is looking into adding a flex period in which students can study and have a break between classes during lunch hours.

In having PLC Wednesdays students are able to get a couple extra minutes of sleep, catch up on homework or visit with friends. Because teachers are in meetings in those 15 minutes every Wednesday, they are unavailable to help students. With a flex period in the middle of the day students will be allowed to foster relationships with their teachers.

“The three objectives of ‘Pony Time,’ or flex time, are: relationship building, academic success and social/emotional well being,” Assistant Principal Matt Kraft said.

As the specifics of Pony Time are currently being discussed, there is not yet a woven description of what Pony Time will be or when it will occur, leaving many different possibilities. Through it all however, there are many people working on the project to ensure the program’s success.

“There will be some sort of flex time schedule for 2017-18 school year,” Kraft said. “There is a committee of 15 staff, students, and parents that are working diligently to put together a final proposal.”

With the new ‘Pony Time,’ the lunch structure will be a lot more efficient than it would be with the current system, as well as setting aside time for seniors and juniors to have a study hall”

— Amelia Torgerson

In some students’ eyes, Pony Time may allow them to benefit from the possible study periods both in out of school activities and extracurriculars.

I like the idea of having early release on PLC days because it would open up more time after school for activities,” junior Amelia Torgerson said. “Additionally, the plan to have a flex hour seems nice as it would allow people to make up tests, meet up for clubs, or do other things that might otherwise take up time either before or after school.”

With a proposal not being drawn until mid-May, many students and staff are left wondering if the overall transition will be successful and how it will have a long-lasting impact on the community.

“I think that the best change that the administration can make is to try to accommodate all of the grades that will be in the high school next year, including the 9th graders,” junior Isaac Goetzke said. “With the new ‘Pony Time,’ the lunch structure will be a lot more efficient than it would be with the current system, as well as setting aside time for seniors and juniors to have a study hall.”

The committee deciding the logistics of Pony Time is hopeful to bring about a stronger mental health in students.

“We have extremely busy students who have challenges staying after school to get help from teachers. These busy lives also bring about more stress and anxiety. We want healthy, happy students who all have an equal chance to strive and excel,” Katherine Barre, Pony Time committee member and sophomore English teacher said. “We hope to provide more learning opportunities to all students.” 

8 Responses to “Pony Time study block instated soon”

1. Ciana Fragnito on May 7th, 2017 7:42 am

This story was very informative and well thought out. Over the months may SAHS students have heard rumors or bits and pieces about Pony Time and this article is great to clear that up and thoroughly explain what exactly it is and when it will be decided on. The interviews with the staff on the committee for Pony Time made this article even stronger and gave good strong facts and a lot of the reasons this is being considered but mainly to better the life of the students at SAHS.

2. Abby Banks on May 7th, 2017 1:52 pm

I liked this article a lot! I got to learn more about Pony Time, which is still very up in the air, which I liked! The faculty’s position was interesting to hear, and I thought this article was very well written.

3. Ebbie Benson on May 7th, 2017 6:14 pm

Because of all the rumors and questioning of “Pony Time” and what it is, this article was good for clearing up confusion. Although not everything is certain, the article still provided lots of insight and having quotes from administration made the information reliable. Possibly connect to how it would affect mental health more.

4. Maya Aflakpi on May 8th, 2017 8:06 am

I really liked this story and how informative it is. The quotes are very detailed and the way the story is worded is really well done. It was good how you got the students perspective and the teachers perspective.

5. Gabe Wagner on May 8th, 2017 9:19 am

I thought that she did a very good job explaining what the current flex time is and then also explaining what the future flex time is gonna be and also good quotes.

6. Linnea Phillips on May 8th, 2017 10:10 am

Very well drafted article. Clear and concise facts that don’t give the authors opinion at all while still being informative. The quotes were well thought out and placed correctly. Lead and nutgraph show a clear basis of information on the topic.

7. Maddy Baker on May 9th, 2017 10:51 am

Very informational and clearly well researched. Gives people an idea of what to expect for next year and how it can help students.

8. Kaitlyn Launderville on May 17th, 2017 7:53 pm

I really enjoyed this article. I learned a lot about this study block that I previously didn’t know. I also thought the transitions in this article was very well written.

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Youth social enterprise camp sparks students’ interests

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Oak Park, Marine, Withrow elementaries enjoy last school year

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Link Crew helps bridge high school grade gap

• Pony Time study block instated soon

New teachers transition to high school

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Molenda creates ‘Pivot Stillwater’ app for locals, tourists

• Pony Time study block instated soon

District 834 spends $8.8 million on long range facilities renovations

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Local News

Conference system changes aim to serve all families

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Admin updates new bathroom policies, monitoring in response to vaping, vandalism

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Alumnus McDonough encourages students to become involved

• Pony Time study block instated soon

Activities

Parents, committee plan all-night party

Pony Time study block instated soon