Senior prank may result in consequences

Infographic by Megan Karnuth

Principal Rob Bach in a letter to parents said, “…walking at graduation is a privilege, not a right.” There are certain things a student can do to be banned from the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but other punishments should be considered if the offenses from the student are only minor infractions.

Pulling a senior prank is tradition, but in recent years it has not been an issue at Stillwater. Disrupting the school day, creating danger to others within the school or vandalism of any sort are punishable offenses and are applicable to the consequence of removing a student from participating in the graduation ceremony.

In past years, things like not having library books all turned in have resulted in students not being allowed to participate in their graduation ceremony, however administrators will consult as a team before deciding if a student is eligible to graduate.

Assistant Principal Aaron Drevlow said, “If we are going to deny not only a student, but a family of walking at graduation, it has to be a pretty serious matter.”  

Every student is held to the same standard when it comes to graduating. Even if they have met all the educational requirements, it does not give them a free pass to break the rules.

Drevlow explained,

The students before us have met all requirements and that is something we hold near and dear to our hearts.

— Assistant Principal Aaron Drevlow

Partaking in the graduation ceremony is a celebration of the work a student has accomplished over the course of their 13 year-long educational careers. Students share their achievement with their graduating class, family and friends, which is what makes this event so special.

Student Counselor Sandra Weaver added, “It is publicly demonstrating that you have met the requirements to earn a diploma from SAHS. It represents an accomplishment of successful completion of thirteen years of education.”

Many people believe that if they have the grades and earned the credits, they should not have to worry about their actions. There are also those students who want to leave their mark and come up with a clever prank. Instead of the tradition of a senior break, senior traditions such as the annual lock-in are ways to have one last memory without endangering a student’s chances of attending the graduation ceremony.

Drevlow added, “I think it’s about opening a pathway for the seniors and asking them, ‘what do you guys want to do?’”   

Furthermore, instead of trying to be the class clown, seniors should be aware of the repercussions of engaging in a senior prank. There will be consequences for students who chose to disrupt or damage the school. Losing the privilege to walk at the ceremony is one of them.