‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, positive audience response

Mason Urban, Social Media Reporter

The movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling, directed by David Yates, was released on Nov. 18 and has gotten mostly positive reviews so far.

The movie takes place in 1926 New York city as a boy named Newt attempts to return all of the escaped magical creatures to the zoo inside his briefcase. The acting is a little spotty and the directing could have improved as the shots were a little static there was too much dead air and green screen use was obvious.

The public has given the movie positive reviews but they haven’t been overly positive to where this should be a mustsee movie.

Junior Anthony Cournoyer said, “The movie was okay. I wasn’t impressed by it but it wasn’t a bad movie by any means. I would give it a six out of ten.”

The movie has gotten a lot of hype but the hype has not really been justified so far as people were just expecting more from this movie. Most likely because of it is by the same people who made the Harry Potter movies.

Junior Jake Sweetland said, “Just seeing her associated with the movie was a big reason why I went to see it. I was expecting it to be almost as good as the Harry Potter movies but I was wrong. It just shows how we can all get fooled by just seeing a name.”

Just seeing her associated with the movie was a big reason why I went to see it. I was expecting it to be almost as good as the Harry Potter movies but I was wrong. It just shows how we can all get fooled by just seeing a name.

— Jake Sweetland

The static shots were probably the biggest issue with this movie as a movie with this type of hype people just expect more from the director who also directed the Harry Potter movies. The lack of interesting shots definitely made the movie worse than it should have been.

Cournoyer said, “I really think that they could’ve improved on the shots and it really could’ve made the movie a lot more interesting. The fact that it was directed by David Yates and the shots were still depressing was a big let down. I was really expecting something more from an experienced director like him.

While the use of a greenscreen was obvious, the way they used it became a work of art. It was really beautiful and how they used the greenscreen was easily the best part of the movie.

Freshman Mo Hasan said, “The beasts looked really real even though I knew they were using a greenscreen. It was my favorite part of the movie of how real the beasts looked.

All in all, it is solid movie but the hype around it is not justified. People should still go to see this movie but just should not great things. It is still very entertaining and worth the price of admission, and that is all that matters.