Chris Shaffer turns goals into reality

Dylan Cook, Visual Arts Media Editor

Goals can push people to accomplish enormous tasks. Chris Shaffer has had a goal since he was a young boy. He wanted to be a meteorologist.

Weather has played a part in Chris’s life since he was a child. With memories ranging from tornados to blizzards the weather around him has profoundly influenced his lifestyle. Growing up, Chris attended Stonebridge elementary, Oakland junior high, and the Stillwater Area high school. He lived in Stillwater Minnesota.

“I was a real typical kid, I had alot of friends,” Chris said. “I was just being a kid i was enjoying life.”

While Chris enjoyed high school, he had a daunting task ahead of him. Due to his parents being divorced and the lack of funds as a result of that, Chris had to pay for his own college education. Despite this hurdle, Chris had a goal to achieve and was set on attending the best college he could afford.

“My plan was set in place I was going to be a meteorologist on tv,” Chris said. “I was working at carboni’s pizza and I did all I could to save money.

Not only was Chris saving for his education, he also decided to pay for braces to straighten his teeth. All while saving for college.

“I had to pay for my own braces while I was paying for college,” Chris said. “I looked like I was 14 years old.”

Ambition paid off and Chris was accepted into the University of Utah. College went well for Chris but class simply was not enough.

“I had a plan I wanted to make myself as marketable as possible,” Chris said. “I did an internship at a television station. They put together my first demo reel.”

Hungry for opportunity Chris took another internship at a local radio station in Salt Lake City. After spending time helping at the station Chris was offered a real job there. He accepted the offer.

“I love music I got to go to concerts for free. For the next two years I had the coolest college job ever. I was hanging with rock superstars,” Chris said.

After four years Chris completed his courses and graduated from the University of Utah. Upon graduating Chris returned to Minnesota with the intention of working for a news station on television.

I went to channels four, five, nine and 11, and they all said the same thing, ‘Dude you look 12, good luck. Get some experience come back in 10 years,” Chris said. “I looked like a 12 year old, but I didn’t sound like one. Kool 108 said they would take me on full time.”

Despite radio not being exactly what he had in mind Chris finally had a job. While working in radio Chris continued his search for employment at a television station.

“It was 8 years until i could get a spot on television,” Chris said. “They had an anchor who was pregnant. it was a 3 month deal just a fill in until she finished her maternity leave.”

Even though the employment was only intended for three months, Chris stuck around. He continued to work in radio and television. He had the best of both worlds, but he could do more, and he intended to. So he kept applying at every opening for a full time job at a television station. Eventually there was an opening at WCCO. Chris applied.

“A couple of weeks went by and I thought I had not made it. I get a call and it’s a man offering me a job on the phone,” Chris said. “The man was chief meteorologist Paul Douglass. My childhood idol was saying to come work there. It was a dream come true.”

Chris took the job and quit radio. After a while he was offered a night spot.

“I’ve now been the chief meteorologist at WCCO television for 8 years. Every day is different, and the weather always changes,” Chris said. “Everything has come true.”

Since he started doing television Chris has won multiple Emmy awards both for his work as a meteorologist and also for his work with the rest of the news team as a whole. He has also received a distinguished alumni award from Stillwater Area High School, to commemorate him and what he has done not only in work but in life.

Chris has accomplished his goal and achieved many other things along the way. His perseverance and passion led him to success. Chris is an example of how setting goals can bring much more than just achievement. Chris challenges others to do as he has done.

“I challenge you to dream bigger with your personal lives,” Chris said. “It’s not what you do, it’s who you become.”