Stillwater Pony Express

Varsity baseball reveals their key to success

Player+Charley+Chuck+Rowan+is+up+to+bat+in+a+game+against+Cretin+Durham+Hall+on+April+26.+With+a+10-3+win-lose+record+the+Ponies+are+optimistic+for+the+rest+of+their+season.+
Photo by Addy Rock
Player Charley “Chuck” Rowan is up to bat in a game against Cretin Durham Hall on April 26. With a 10-3 win-lose record the Ponies are optimistic for the rest of their season.

A symphony of anticipation echoes over the field as the sound of the metal bat whacks the scuffed ball with faded seams high above the heads of the players bearing the weight of making history. Every pitch, swing and catch paints the outcome for the two teams, Stillwater vs. Eastridge on the diamond’s canvas. The alluring scent of freshly mown grass intertwines with the lust for glory and the anticipation of the crowd. As the pitcher anxiously throws the last ball not knowing whose team will be in its favor, Stillwater emerges victorious with a score of 8 to 5 and earns their current title as #1 in the conference, #2 in the Star Tribune Metro.

Recapping last season, the Ponies ended with a 16 to 9 win-loss record. However, things are rapidly picking up for the team with a 10-3 win-loss for this season. 

“As a captain of varsity, one of my responsibilities is to get the team pumped up because if the team doesn’t have that juice of adrenaline it’s really hard to play baseball,” senior Owen Maslowski said.

From little league to varsity, Maslowski has shown an immense love for baseball since age four. Putting the team before himself, he has always shown dedication and determination on and off the field. With 10 more games in the regular season, Maslowski has high expectations for himself as a senior and as a mentor to all aspiring underclassmen. 

“If I could advise a younger guy who wants to be like me, I’d say discouragement will never help. Don’t get on yourself. It’s a big school so if you miss one day it doesn’t mean the end of the world. Stick with it no matter what because it’s the most fun you’ll ever have in your life,” Maslowski said.

If you were to ask me, I’d say the best team in the state is Stillwater, but that’s just me.”

— Owen Maslowski

The electrifying surge of adrenaline fused with a preppy team spirit is the ideal formula for the Ponies’ success. Nevertheless, being ranked #1 in the conference means these boys face constant pressure to maintain their title and overall image, especially since the baseball program has had a history of success over the past few years. 

Senior Charley “Chuck” Rowan added that the team had a rough time getting their offense in good shape at the beginning of the season but after a few pep talks from the coach and more practice, the team’s chemistry and confidence regained their strength. 

“This year I set goals for myself to be the best leader I possibly can and focus on bringing energy and positive vibes to every practice and game,” Rowan said.

Coach, economics teacher, and inspirational speaker Michael Weiss started his mentoring role for the Ponies just a few years ago, but his impact has been immense. Having a competitive spirit and a passion for teaching, Weiss’ coaching has brought the team together in various ways. 

“For these kids in varsity, it’s loads of preparation before, during, and after the baseball season. They’re lifting weights, sprinting, and training all for a 12-week season. So the dedication to excellence our players put in for this one opportunity is great. That’s what allows us to have success,” Weiss said. 

Becoming “1% better each day” according to Maslowski, the team’s trajectory is in favor of them winning the conference and going onto sectionals and eventually state championships. With enthusiastic leadership, team chemistry and dedication, the Ponies have proved to the state that they have the mentality of champions and the scores to back them up. 

“If you were to ask me, I’d say the best team in the state is Stillwater, but that’s just me,” Maslowski said.