Stillwater Pony Express

AP Art competition leads artists to new levels

Photo by Anna Agnessi
Junior Addyson Preuss paints a picture of a rabbit during class work time. Letting her creativity flow with painting the first thing that came to her mind.

White Bear Center for the Arts hosted an art competition April 25. The gallery of the student’s artwork will be available to view. The exhibition is meant to celebrate the talent and expression of young artists in the area.

The White Bear Center for the Arts invites high school students in grades 9-12 from the Northeast Metro Region of the Twin Cities to participate in the 2023-2024 High School Visual Arts Contest. Students can submit up to three original pieces of art for a chance to win cash awards, publication opportunities and other prizes. Selected works will be showcased in WBCA’s Ford Family Gallery Exhibition Hall and Atrium alongside entries from the WriteNow, a High school writing contest with submission deadlines, exhibition dates and eligibility criteria outlined. The contest promises to celebrate and recognize the creative talents of young artists in the region.

“I have submitted both 2D and 3D art to competitions this year,” senior Annika Staloch said.

Preparing for competitions with the assistance of AP Art teacher Carey Nisi involves several steps to ensure a successful entry. As competitions are mandatory for AP art students, Nisi guides them through the process. However, not all submissions are accepted, showing the importance of diligent preparation. To apply, students must take pictures of their artwork, and provide a title and an artist statement that captures their art. Most often, submissions are made through a Google form, although the method may vary depending on the competition. With Nisi’s expertise and support, students are prepared to present their best work and navigate the competitive aspect of art contests effectively.

“Ms. Nisi always makes sure we know when our art needs to be turned in,” Staloch said.

AP Art offers students a unique platform for exploring their artistic skills while having creative freedom. Unlike standard art classes, where guidance is more structured, AP Art encourages students to explore their artistic vision independently. Through this class, students have the opportunity to push the boundaries of their creativity and develop their own unique style.

“The class really gives me creative freedom to further my art skills,” junior Addyson Preuss explained.

The class really gives me creative freedom to further my art skills.”

— Addyson Preuss

With less emphasis on step-by-step instruction and more on self-expression, AP Art enables students to delve deeper into their artistic journey, refining their techniques and expanding their creative horizons in the process, while giving them the opportunity to enter competitions and make their art known. At the MSHL art competition, the winning piece gets displayed in the U.S. capital building.

Several AP Art students got accepted to compete in the White Bear Center for the Arts competition, showcasing their talent and dedication. Among them, Junior Eli Martinez stood out, securing a place and earning an honorable mention for his exceptional artwork. Eli does exceptional work, Staloch explained. Additionally, junior Esmeralda Martinez also impressed the judges, earning a spot in the competition. Her talent has attracted the attention of numerous prestigious colleges, reflecting her promising future in the art world.

“I have grown so much as an artist and entering these art competitions will help make my art known by prestigious art colleges,” Staloch explained.