Pathways day allows students to experience post secondary options

Juniors+participate+in+the+Test+Drive+experience+as+a+part+of+Pathways+Day.+This+activity+helped+students+figure+out+how+to+save+and+figure+out+wants+and+needs.+
Photo by Ava Bentdahl
Juniors participate in the Test Drive experience as a part of Pathways Day. This activity helped students figure out how to save and figure out wants and needs.

On Nov. 14 the schedule changed for a day as students got post-secondary planning experiences and a taste of what it is like after high school. All grades were split up throughout the day and divided into different activities.

Freshman got to do career exploration and create a personalized learning plan that they will continue to update every year throughout their highschool career. Along with that the ninth graders got to go out into the community and had 20 different community service opportunities.

Sophomores got to take the Pre-ACT, an assessment to get used to the actual ACT they will take as juniors and seniors. The ACT is an entrance exam that many colleges use to help make admission decisions. They also had the opportunity to make blankets for the Masonic Children’s Hospital and some students also got to visit elementary schools.

“They visited elementary schools and some kids absolutely enjoyed it. A lot of kids did. They were saying they love to do it weekly or monthly, they would love to continue doing it,” Pathways Coordinator Bob Manning said.

Juniors got to listen to a post-secondary presentation given to them by their counselors, do a resume builder activity to prepare them for future interviews, listen to an admissions panel from North Dakota State University, Cornell College (Iowa), and Minnesota North College and got to do a Test Drive experience simulation of what it would be like to live a job, get a salary, pay rent, be single, married, with kids, no kids or whatever it may be they had to figure out to save and spend money responsibly and figure out wants from needs.

“It’s very easy to go into debt,” junior Ruth Olson said, who participated in the Test Drive experience.

People were told to go to college, go to a four year university and that’s what you have to do, and for the students who weren’t necessarily academic or hadn’t found something that they connected to in education, they didn’t feel successful.

— Bob Manning

Seniors got the opportunity to choose from one of 10 different college tours or from 10 different business tours.

“It’s just good for preparation, good to know, like where everything’s going to be,” said senior Pinella Vang who toured St. Olaf college.

Pathways also provided military visits as options to explore and virtual college tours that were too far to tour physically.

Getting all these opportunities to explore after high school options and knowing that there’s not only one option and there is something for everyone is very important for everyone to be aware and students don’t have to go with what society wants expects or the standard normal post-secondary education plans.