Don Johnson taking over principal position

Photo by Natalie Gjermo

Principal Don Johnson replaced former principal Ryan Laager as interim principal for this year.

Megan Katula

Principal Don Johnson is replacing former principal Ryan Laager, who stepped down from his position last year to become the Head of Curriculum Planning for District 834.  Johnson says he “loves” being principal here, although it will only be for one year.

Johnson has a good deal of experience, started teaching in Illinois, eventually moving to Dakar, Senegal where he lived and taught for three years at a missionary school.

After Africa, he worked in Minnesota as a principal of a school in Dover Eyota for 13 years, then in Owatonna for six years.

Johnson retired before being called to work for the Minnesota Association of Secondary School Principals.  After one year, Stillwater was his next destination.

Because this is the only year he will be at Stillwater Area High School, Johnson does not plan on making any big changes to school.  He has goals for himself as well as the teachers and students of SAHS.  He has a vision for theschool and he is looking forward to this year.

“I’m still figuring out the job at this point,” said Johnson. “How you do your job is totally dependent on who you work with.”

Johnson said that his style is collaborative.  He works well with the teachers and staff at the school.

Assistant Principal Mary Leadem Ticiu described him as a gentleman and a leader. “I’m working with someone I can learn from,” said Assistant Principal Aaron Drevlow. “[Dr. Johnson] respects principalship and students.”

Johnson has high hopes for students this year.  His goal is that student learning continues to be strong.  He hopes to accomplish this by working closely with teachers on teacher development.

“I can always become a better principal.  I think teachers can always become better teachers.  Good teachers can get better and great teachers can get better,” said Johnson.

Johnson thinks input from students is very important.  If he were to promote any changes he thinks changes such as hats and coats being banned, and backpacks no longer being carried from class to class would be his changes.  However, these are not changes that will be put into action by the principal; just thoughts.

“That’s not my job,” Johnson said. “I’m supporting changes that have already begun.”

Johnson thinks SAHS is an excellent school and he really loves being a principal here.  His expectation this year is to make it even better.  He talked about fine tuning and improving state test scores.  He hopes to accomplish this by working closely with teachers to tweak and improve teaching styles.