Local teens enter art pieces at The Phipps Center for the Arts

Photo by Lorrie Shortridge

SAHS teens view art at The Phipps in Hudson, Wisconsin.

Cathleen Costello, Staff Writer

For three decades, The Phipps Center for the Arts has been a place to explore, host and celebrate the arts. It is a  destination for visual art, theater, song, and dance in the St. Croix Valley of eastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin.

The Phipps Center opened in 1983 with a theater and classroom space, in large part thanks to the generosity of the William H. Phipps Foundation, in tandem with community support.  By 1992, they had doubled in size and added an art gallery,

Local students from eastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin were invited to submit one original piece of art in any medium to the Phipps Center for the Arts which was hosting their annual High School Art Exhibition from April 14 thru May 7,  located in the Riverview Gallery.  There was a reception held at the Phipps on May 7 to celebrate all the artists.

Art teachers informed the students in their classes about the art exhibit and encouraged students that were interested to submit a piece of art.  There were a handful of students that entered art pieces.  These included charcoal and photography mediums.

Senior Eden explained her charcoal piece she entered, ‘Blue man pink sky’.  It was a piece that she created for her art class.  She attended the reception that was held at the end of the exhibition and said that it was a huge success with a gallery full of attendees.  If she had that opportunity to enter a piece in the future she would love to.  Riegle shared that her love of art will continue after she graduates.  She will be attending Southwest State University to study art.

Sophomore Olivia Olstad submitted an original photography piece.  It was a photograph of “Michelle, who is a professional photographer”, explained Olstad.  It was “unique to photograph a photographer because she was able to help me figure out my style and the lighting.  Two very important characteristics of good photography”, Olstad said.

Although Olstad did not receive an award this year she said, “It’s fun to have people look at your work”.

Olstad has also entered art pieces in the county fair in the past.  If given the opportunity in the future she would like to enter art into the Phipps art exhibit again.

The Phipps art exhibit was a good experience for all the students that entered a piece.  It’s not about winning an award but just being involved in a good community event.  Riegle summarized, “Art can be anything”!