Alex Ritzer reflects on high school baseball career, his future

Photo Submitted by Alex Ritzer

Alex Ritzer up to bat playing against East Ridge. Ponies are down by one with two players on base.

Nick Koehn

America’s favorite pastime is baseball and people of all ages play this sport. From young to old, people find a way to play and watch. This is no different here at Stillwater Area High School where we have had a program for over 40 years. Stillwater’s baseball program has had multiple D1 players come out of its program and some have even been drafted.

This year two seniors committed this year already with Alex Ritzer committed to North Carolina, which is a top baseball school in the nation.

Ritzer has been a key part of the team. He has been playing a crucial role for three years as a hitter and a middle infielder, and this year he also is a captain on the baseball team. This year, only six games into the season, he is hitting .450 and has a .560 on base percentage on MN baseball hub.

“I expect Alex to stay in the upper 300 404 batting average. I think he can do it but a lot of teams are gonna be pitching around and they won’t give them much to hit,” head varsity baseball coach Mike Parker said.

Part of being an elite high school athlete is not just working on the baseball field. They also have to always have to be lifting weights and eating right. Ritzer needs to be the hardest worker on and off the field to keep his edge.

“His intense work ethic every practice every game. And then, especially in the offseason, he just really represents Stillwater baseball in such a positive manner and then he really sets a sample for the kids and players in the next classes,” Parker added.

His intense work ethic every practice every game. And then, especially in the offseason, he just really represents Stillwater baseball in such a positive manner and then he really sets a sample for the kids and players in the next classes

— Mike Parker

Ritzer doe not just play for the high school, he also plays for a club ball team called the North Stars. There he puts in work every week when the high school season is not going on to get better and improve and refine his skills.

“I lift 5-6 days a week and then do a hitting program with my club team Northstar. I really try to refrain from throwing to make sure it’s healthy for the season,” Ritzer said.

Ritzer puts in  hard work and the baseball community recognizes him. He is the seventh-best baseball player and the best player at shortstop in the state according to prep baseball report.

Ritzer does not let the rankings get to his head. “I try not to focus on rankings,” Ritzer said, “since those are just someone’s opinion.”

Ritzer committed to North Carolina during the summer of his junior year. He was able to do this because he impressed scouts at showcases.

The tecruiting process was “hectic” for Ritzer. He had to keep a tough schedule for calling coaches, but Ritzer said, “Once North Carolina came into play, I knew that’s where I wanted to be.”

Ritzer still has a long time before his baseball career is over. With his skills and his leadership, he has a hopeful future. With his last high school season he is hoping to end it with a state championship and is excited to continue on improving and getting better.