New schedule offers three courses as full semester

Graphic by Karley Rydeen

New schedule offers three courses as full semester.

Students’ daily schedule looks different than what they have been used to in the past. Now students participate in a hybrid schedule: three classes per one quarter, along with longer periods. Students are now learning double the work taught to make up for teachers having half the time to teach. 

This summer, students and their families were told that the school year will look a little different. Only with three classes per quarter, students are being taught double the information within that time.  But with an addition of longer periods with fewer students attending each class.

“We felt that it is easier for students and staff to focus on and balance three courses at a time instead of six,” Assistant Principal Matt Kraft said.

A lot of thought and time went into making these decisions, but the number one priority is to keep everyone safe. Administrators believe that the hybrid, A/B schedule is the safest option, this means less contact with others and less physical contact points. Fewer interactions with students will help decrease the spread of COVID-19. 

“The main reason for the decision to go to three courses was safety,” Kraft said.

Many students have responded positively to the new hybrid schedule, from the benefits of being more organized to less to worry about each day. With only three classes, many feel it is easier to focus instead of trying to handle the normal six classes. 

The main reason for the decision to go to three courses was safety.

— Matt Kraft

“I prefer the three-class schedule even though it is twice the work,” junior Amelia Maroney said, there are not as many classes to worry about on a daily basis.

One of the main struggles students have been dealing with in such a challenging year is contacting teachers. Teacher’s emails overflowing and trying to keep social distancing is making it hard for both in-person and online students.

Senior Molly O’Connell said her biggest struggle was contacting her teachers. 

Moving at a faster pace is difficult for some students, if not most. Along with the many challenges within this school year, double the workload and longer assignments, and increasing time put in, maybe adding to this. Learning at an increased rate is a new obstacle that not only students, but the staff is learning to overcome. 

“It takes a lot more time to complete and doing homework for long periods of time is difficult for most kids,” Maroney explained. 

This form of learning is new and difficult for all students, staff and administrators. Students and teachers are all learning and overcoming many challenges and adapting to the new struggles. This has not been an easy change for anyone, but to keep everyone safe it was the best decision.