Key Club continues to Play “Key” role in community

Photo submitted by Ellie Capra

This fall the Key club participated in the Pumpkin Distribution event. They passed out pumpkins to members in the community. Emma Perpich, Cece Wallace, Izzy Caswell, Audrey Coleman, Kady Peltier and Breanna Tubs participated.

Elly Flaherty, Business Editor

Key Club is an international student-led community service club. Key Club offers new volunteer opportunities for students around our community. It was organized during the 2013-2014 school year, and since then it has taken off. They have a website that is used to display all the places students can volunteer.

Key club allows students to come together and make an impact on our community and earn volunteer hours while also spending time with each other.

“My favorite thing about Key Club is the opportunities the club provides for the members to make an impact within the community through service work. I love knowing that our membership is working together through their service towards bettering our community,” senior Nicole Haley said. 

A huge part of Key Club is being able to connect with members in the community. This allows students to branch out and form friendships with the other students in Key Club.

“My favorite part about Key Club is by far the people. It is inspiring to be around high school students who have a fierce passion to contribute to their community in a meaningful and impactful way. I am very fortunate to have met and worked with some amazing people through Key Club,” junior Ellie Capra said. 

There are different roles in Key Club that students can earn. Nicole Haley earned the position President of the club.

“I received the title of President for Key Club by making a video with the vice-president about why we deserved to be elected and then the membership voted on which duo (president and vice president) they felt would best serve them during the 2020-2021 school year,” Haley explained. 

Key club involves mostly in-person volunteering. However, due to this year’s unique circumstances, they will face challenges with volunteering safely.

“The biggest challenge Key Club will be facing is figuring out how to safely volunteer. There are many events that can be done without risk, but for some we will need to learn to adapt in a way we have not done before,” Capra said. 

Members of key club find it challenging to find alternative events that avoid close contact. They hope to strengthen the community and inspire others to do the same.

“It is hard to try and rework events so that they can be conducted according to the CDC’s guidelines, but with the help of the Vice-President and the other officers I think that we can successfully come up with enough events to continue to encourage our members to make a positive impact on the community,” Haley said. 

Although the Key club may be facing some difficulties volunteering this year, the leaders have planned alternative events such as Holiday Hope, Rake A Difference and Fare for All.

Members said they “look forward to giving back to the community, and hope that others engage with them.”

“With the help of the Vice-President and the other officers I think that we can successfully come up with enough events to continue to encourage our members to make a positive impact on the community,” Haley said. 

http://stillwaterkeyclub.weebly.com/

“My favorite part about Key Club is by far the people. It is inspiring to be around high school students who have a fierce passion to contribute to their community in a meaningful and impactful way. I am very fortunate to have met and worked with some amazing people through Key Club.” -junior Ellie Capra

“My favorite thing about Key Club is the opportunities the club provides for the members to make an impact within the community through service work. I love knowing that our membership is working together through their service towards bettering our community.” -senior Nicole Haley