Staff Ed: Students working during school hours see an effect on learning

Photo by Brynn Winter

After junior Calli Dierkhising’s early morning shift she comes home to work on her homework. Online days give Calli the freedom to chose when to work. Having a job during school hours teaches students great time management skills.

Now that students are part time or fully online, many have considered taking shifts in the morning when school would normally take place. Online days have given students a bit of freedom on when to complete their assignments. This new opportunity may come with some pros and cons. Although having extra money to spend may be important to students, their focus and work ethic may be shifted. Working during the morning and coming home to school work could leave students feeling unmotivated and tired. Without having the responsibility of being present in class, many students take advantage of completing assignments and participating virtually in class. 

Students who work during school hours end up sacrificing their time in the mornings, making it crucial to complete school work during the evening. Depending on the student, some may find it overwhelming and stressful and others may find it necessary and beneficial. Each student’s situation is different, it may be beneficial to work in the morning for some students as it teaches them time management skills and gives a sense of freedom and responsibility. Others may find it overbearing as the evening is a time for them to relax and unwind from the day. However, it boils down to how it is affecting their academic performance. The main issue with working during school hours is that many students come home unwilling to check daily assignments, making it challenging for teachers. 

Most students who work 15-20 hours a week have seen a decrease in their academics. Having to manage work, school and extracurriculars is a lot for students to handle. 

When working 15-plus hours, it is hard for students to put as much time and effort into school as someone without a job would. Sleep is also a big factor as students with an overwhelming schedule are more likely to sleep less.

Students who are successful in their job are teaching themselves responsibility. They benefit from making relationships with other employees by creating a productive and positive working environment.

When students feel confident at what they are doing it affects their life in many ways. It improves family life and education as well as their workdays. Confidence fuels students and encourages them to continue their best. 

Having a job sets students up for a bright future. They learn how to manage and keep track of their time to avoid conflict. Time management is important, it helps avoid stress and keep students motivated. 

Planning to avoid conflict is an important skill for teens to learn. It helps teens think ahead and properly space out what they have going on during the week. This limits the amount of stress students bear because they are not crunching the last minute to finish assignments that are due. 

The percentage of high school students in 1990 with a job was about 32%, an all-time high. High school employment has decreased to now 16% according to The Washington Times. The decline in student employment is due to the fact that more students are now enrolled in school.  

Not only has school enrollment increased, but also the demand for more students wanting to attend college. The pressure of teens wanting to succeed so they can attend college is tremendous this desire has fewer teens focusing on working and more about their education. 

It is appropriate for high school students to have a job. Having a job teaches students a lot about managing time along with learning how to stay focused and handling multiple things thrown at them. Communication is key and if students are conveying their availability, work should not stand in the way of academics.