Engler embraces Law and Justice

Photo by Maddy Ek

History teacher and former NBA player, Chris Engler is now teaching a law and justice class. Engler said, “I am hoping students like the class, are challenged and interested in what we do so they will be positive ambassadors to future students to take the class.”

Engler said, “I am hoping students like the class, are challenged and interested in what we do so they will be positive ambassadors to future students to take the class.”

Chris Engler is a former NBA player and history teacher who is starting in the 2014-2015 school year a Law and Justice class. This class is also taught by Mike Kaul, but is expanding in hope for more students to join the class.

Having unique classes gives students more choices for classes and more interesting topics that they can have fun with. For the students interested in debating and discussing topics this will be beneficial for them because the class is a good way to learn how to do those things in school.

The law and justice class is a great way to expand a student’s knowledge in the units they will have to offer including criminal, contract, personal injury, family law, property law, contracts and more.

“I hope that we will study many facets of law,” said Engler.

Students who take the class and have taken the class for the most part learn a lot from it. Others who are interested in taking the course are highly encouraged to take it as it is a great opportunity to learn many things with the law, legal issues and more. The class has many important things that all people should know about the law and can be very beneficial.

“If you are interested in Law and Justice it is a good introduction to everyday legal issues that you may not realize exist.

— Chris Engler

“If you are interested in Law and Justice it is a good introduction to everyday legal issues that you may not realize exist. For example, law permeates our society in so many ways and circumstances that we often are unaware of. My goal is to help students see this  and be aware of it,” Engler explained.

The classes expectations are high, but possible for someone to accomplish in a student’s daily schedules. It is expected for more students to enroll each year and so far the class has been successful.

Many students have busy schedules and need an easier class to be dependent on to give them a break.

“I know many people who take classes that give them a little break especially when they are taking AP or other challenging classes that they want to take before graduating. I’ve heard the law and justice class is very fun and is a great opportunity for people who love to learn about legal issues,” said junior Ben Ingram.

The course has more to offer than just discussions and debates where during the class they have a unit where create a mock trial. There also may be a chance to go on field trips for students to explore and enjoy themselves.

“We will discuss issues in a problem format where students read about the law and then we discuss/debate it.  We may also have elements of a Mock Trial at some point.  I also hope to get permission to take students to the Washington County Courthouse for a field trip to see the many resources open to all of us there,” said Engler. “I read an article about the mock trial in an earlier issue of the Pony Express and I thought it sounded very fun,” said junior Megan Fronczak.

Engler is very excited to see where the class evolves when he starts to teach it next year.

“Students are reading our packets and are preparing lessons on problems to share with their classmates now. I can’t wait to see how they do,” Engler explained.

The course is going in the right direction where the teachers and future students are excited to begin the class. With many opportunities to learn about the law, students will be exposed to units, field trips, mock trials etc. that others do not have chances to experience. This class is very beneficial and is a great learning opportunity.