Flu shot necessary to keep everyone healthy

Junior+Abby+Lee+goes+to+get+her+yearly+flu+shot+at+her+local+CVS+pharmacy.+Flu+shots+are+recommended+to+get+at+the+start+of+the+flu+season%2C+but+can+still+be+received+until+the+end+of+theflu+season.+

Junior Abby Lee goes to get her yearly flu shot at her local CVS pharmacy. Flu shots are recommended to get at the start of the flu season, but can still be received until the end of theflu season.

Photo by Grace Silbernick

Photo by Grace Silbernick

Photo by Grace Silbernick

Some say they are toxic, that they make people sick and are unsafe for people to get. Others say they are necessary and help keep individuals healthy. So what do flu shots really do for us?

Flu shots are a necessary vaccine, and for those who can get one should receive every year. They keep the population from spreading the influenza virus. Everyone needs to get one every year because the virus changes, and we can build up our immune system this way.

The flu shot is not just for ourselves. We need to get one to keep those around us who can not get a shot, healthy.

“You might have a grandparent who is not in the best health, you might have a younger sibling at home, pregnant mom that you’re close with, and so to not only protect yourself with but also to protect those around you,” said Melissa Fischer the school nurse, RN and healthcare specialist.  

People who are allergic to components of the vaccine, under 6 months and senior citizens are all unable to get the shot.

The flu spreads quickly through highly populated areas like a high school. Even people who get a flu shot still need to take precautions to stop the spread.

Should vaccinations be mandatory?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It is not unusual to see outbreaks of flu in schools. The flu often spreads quickly through schools and can affect a significant number of students and staff.  Students are often close together during classes, dining halls, after-school clubs, and sports and any activity that bring students very close together for prolonged periods of time increases the exposure,” said Dr. Snigdha Pusalavidyasagar healthcare specialist at M Health.

With sickness in schools so high, it is an even better reason to continuously be getting the vaccine.

Influenza is a serious illness that can be more harmful than most people often think, especially for those who are unprepared.

“Even healthy adolescents can get very sick from the flu. A flu shot can keep  teenagers from getting sick with the flu. Influenza can be more serious than the common cold. It can lead to serious complications, including hospitalization or death. While most teens who get sick with the flu recover within a couple of weeks, some may develop complications like sinus infections, or pneumonia,” Pusalavidyasagar said.

Many understate how people are affected by the flu, and that it is so much more dangerous than the common cold.

There are still many people who disagree with the use of vaccines and flu shots. “I’ve never gotten the flu shot, and I’ve never gotten the flu. I’ve grown up grown up believing that the flu shot, it won’t help you. I’ve been used to hearing that the flu shot gives you like a lesser version of the flu in order to build your immune system. So why risk it if there’s a chance you could end up not getting it at all?,”  junior Abby Anderbrhan said.

It is reasonable to think if a person has never gotten the flu than they should not have to go to a clinic or the doctors every year just for a shot. When it might not make a difference to their health.

Everyone can agree that they don’t want sickness. Flu shots are a great way to prevent illness, and if able everyone needs it. If the flu shot is going to be administered the best time it to get it at the start of flu season, generally at the beginning of October.