Boche elected to SkillsUSA

Photo by Katie Beedle

Boche, a SAHS alumni, has been selected to serve as an ambassador on the SkillsUSA State Officers Team. “The application process of really difficult and long, but I know the experience is going to be great,” said Boche.

Natalie Gjermo

After a long and grueling application process, Raylee Boche has been selected to serve on the SkillsUSA State Officers Team. Boche is a student in the Stillwater Bridge Transition program and this is her first year being apart is SkillsUSA.

During this program, she will act as a statewide ambassador. Also Boche will have to attend training, state events and conferences, and the National Championships in Kansas City, MO. Raylee is one of the 7 students selected to serve. She was one of fourteen high school and collegiate students selected, and together they will travel to events across the state, sharing a message of Career and Technical Education.

SkillsUSA State Officers Team is a honor to be on, and the members of it work very hard and are responsible for many things for example they visit business, industry, and legislative representatives.

“SkillsUSA is a student run organization. SkillsUSA helps students work on their leadership skills,” said Boche.

She had to fill out a two page application, write a 5 paragraph essay, pass a 50-70 question proctored skills assessment, provide three letters of reference, and mount a campaign.

“The application process of really difficult and long, but I know the experience is going to be great.

— Raylee Boche

“The application process of really difficult and long, but I know the experience is going to be great,” said Boche.

There are different categories you can be involved when in SkillsUSA, for example job application process, prepared speech, extemporaneous speech, job demo, and the job interview process.

“Any student in SkillsUSA can choose if they would like to participate in state, and they choose from which category they feel most strongly in,” said Boche.

In SkillsUSA the students elect 7 different board members.

“At Stillwater, I am the president for my chapter. I have to run the meetings, my vice president makes the agenda. We try our best to participate in a lot of local fundraisers,” explained Boche.

SkillsUSA Minnesota officers work together to create educational conferences for thousands of student members statewide.

“SkillsUSA state officers develop and use high level leadership skills to prepare themselves and others for future careers,” said Jennifer Polz, State Director of SkillsUSA on their website. “SkillsUSA state officers are among the most elite student leaders in the state.”

SkillsUSA Minnesota leaders help communicate with speeches to help with career-readiness. Boche will be extremely busy this year with her new leadership role in the program.