Filed under Local News, News

Soft seating furniture allows for easy collaboration

Photo by Rosalie Braun
New furniture in hallways like tables, couches, chairs, and desks can be used when students have extra time before and after school to work on homework. These spaces are also great for collboration on group projects.

Furniture that was newly added with the schools construction allows students and staff members to collaborate before and after school more easily. The school now has comfortable seating and new tables making working and socializing fun and easy.

With the new addition to our school, the district also added new chairs, desks and comfortable seating areas. This newly added furniture allows the students to bond with each other and collaborate on school work. New conference tables were also added to accommodate the staff with meetings.

Students can use the new chairs, tables and seating to work together on group projects during the school day or after school for homework. Teachers and paraprofessionals can also meet with students in these areas. The desks and areas are only available during flex time with a teacher’s permission.

“The purpose is to have some space where students can collaborate,” Assistant Principal Chris Otto said, when talking about the new furniture and seating areas. “It’s a place to sit down and talk and interact socially with their peers,” Otto said.

Otto was a part of a team that decided where the furniture went and the furniture’s purpose. She helped give the designers an idea of what the furniture is for and the designers gave recommendations. The company that created and helped pick out the furniture is called Innovative Office Solutions. Designers from the company recommended the best and most comfortable pieces of furniture for our students.

Junior Gabby Lombard said, “It’s pretty comfy, but I think the money could have gone to better things,” when talking about the furniture additions. Lombard still finds the furniture useful for group projects and hanging out, but wishes the money went to better desks.

The new furniture was added in when the building was under construction. The furniture is located in all of the hallways and most locker bays. Some places have desks with USB plug-ins and others have cushioned seating. The new furniture was also added in the college and career center and in other staff areas.

Amy Carr who works in the College and Career Center said, “It’s nice that when students come in here, they have the seating.” “I just couldn’t accommodate large groups and now I can,” Carr added.

Students have been using the furniture and teachers have too. Staff members hope to see students continuing to use of these spaces for homework and social interactions.

5 Responses to “Soft seating furniture allows for easy collaboration”

1. Gabrielle Danielson on November 4th, 2017 12:53 am

I enjoyed the article and it caught my attention because I thought it was an interesting topic for a story. The writer (Morgan) did a good job with getting quotes from people who worked in the building. They knew exactly why we got the new furniture and how it was going to benefit the students. She also interviewed a student and got their opinion on the furniture which is good because sometimes in the end student don’t always think its the best fit or in this case use of money.

2. Hunter Hippel on November 7th, 2017 4:42 pm

I thought this article was a good summary of the new furniture in the school. I liked how you talked to someone involved in the decision. However, the lead and nut graph seemed a little repetitive. Keep up the good work!

3. Benjamin Valerius on November 10th, 2017 10:28 am

I liked reading the controversy presented in this article because I have been hearing about discussions over whether or not we could be spending this furniture money on things that might be of a pressing issue in our school, such as new desks. The difference of interviewing adults who were part of the deciding process of getting this furniture and the students who have been using them was good! I agree with Hunter in that the lead or nutgraph could have presented new/more interesting information in it, but other than that I liked this article a lot!

4. Jack Seipel on November 12th, 2017 2:46 pm

This was a very informative article considering the new additions. I feel that student’s did not receive information regarding the new furniture, and you gave good links and info on the company who supplied the new seating, and why administration allowed the expenses for new seating. I liked your use of controversy between staff and student. It created more talking points that could have been added to the story. I feel like students should have been polled before the buying of new seating. Where do students think the money should go to? Was furniture the best decision?

5. Mackenzie Motz on November 13th, 2017 11:06 pm

This article caught my attention because I hadn’t learned anything about the furniture. This article was very informative and you had really good links that helped the article progress. I also really liked that you talked to someone involved with making some of the decisions about the furniture, it was fascinating.

• Soft seating furniture allows for easy collaboration

Local News

Band department haunts ELC

Local News

Flex Time rolls out school-wide

• Local Arts

Student Council hosts movie night at Pony Stadium

Local News

Only one political club remains this fall

Local News

PAC creates revenue, promotes healthy living

Activities

Pony Activity Center offers community memberships

Local News

ALC joins high school as part of renovation

Local News

Conference system changes aim to serve all families

Activities

Debate team finished second in State at the Classic Minnesota Debate Tournament

Local News

Effects of construction felt around building, many eager for completion