Boys basketball players anticipate strong season

Photo by Natalie Gjermo

Photo by Natalie Gjermo

Photo by Natalie Gjermo

Nicole Loe

The boys basketball team is getting ready to start the season and they are hoping to start strong. Last year’s seniors were a helpful and supportive group for all the boys on the team and the captains this year hope to be the best they can be for the team and for themselves. Practices were held on Nov. 11 and Nov. 12.

Basketball player, and senior Mitch Bruggers has seen the skills of the seniors and captains from last year. With their absence, they are sure to be missed, but with their basic basketball skills and knowledge from last year, they can be as good as the seniors were from the previous year.

“I think we will be okay without the seniors from last year, it will be some tough shoes to fill, but we can do it,” said Bruggers.

Senior Nick Ogren believes they can go far and do great this year, too. There are still many players from last year that are experienced and ready to help lead the team.

“There are a lot of young talent this year, and overall, we should be pretty good this year,” said Ogren.

There is a lot of enthusiasm for this year’s team and they hope to be as good, if not, better than last year. Every player has great respect as well as trust for basketball coach Randy Jordan. They have the belief that he can help make the team great, just like he always does.

“I’m really excited for basketball to start, not only because I like to play, but because I get to see Coach Jordan every day,” said Bruggers.

“The team this year will do good, I have high hopes, and we have many skilled players this year, too,” said Jordan.

Ogren and Bruggers have both been playing basketball since they were around 5 years old, and found the love of the game at a very early age, which is why they have continued to play basketball throughout their lives. It is a sport they can have fun with, but be competitive at the same time. They each hope to help and contribute to the team and make it a great year for the new players joining the team and for the previous players from last year.

“It’s a lot of hard work, but there are a lot of supportive people on the team,” said Bruggers.

4 Responses to “Boys basketball players anticipate strong season”

1. savanna sylvis on November 26th, 2013 11:14 pm

I really liked how you used the players and the coach to explain how the year will go and how skilled the team is. But I think you should have maybe put a quote of a fans opinion or thoughts in it.

2. Sam "Hammer & Nails" Jakupciak on November 27th, 2013 2:12 am

It will be interesting to see if their hopes are met, seeing as they lost nearly their entire starting lineup from last year. Whoever is filling in Romportl’s shoes has a big task ahead of them, but McKinley should be a good replacement for Quinn, seeing as he is like 6-foot-eight.

3. Adam Johnson on January 12th, 2014 9:17 pm

While I definitely got that this won’t be a super easy straightforward year, I didn’t learn much about the team from the article. Try to expand and talk about some specifics of the basketball. The picture looks really great!

4. Cora Sutherland on January 13th, 2014 3:49 am

The article flowed well and made sense, but there wasn’t much new or valuable information. Maybe aim to dig a little deeper for quotes that will personalize the story and separate it from the common sports story outline.

• Boys basketball players anticipate strong season

Sports

Synchronized swimming goes to state

Photo Slide Shows

Boys golf looking to improve on seventh place finish

Sports

Boxing idea knocked out

Photo Slide Shows

Girls softball continues winning streak

Featured Videos

Boys lacrosse team hopes to beat Mahtomedi for first time

Sports

Girls golf tees off, eyes on State

Featured Videos

Boys track team trains outside during Minnesota heat wave

Featured Videos

Girls lacrosse looks solid with strong senior class

Sports

Girls softball aims to win back-to-back state titles

Featured Videos

Boys tennis loses key players, senior class looks to meet expectations