Girls soccer team rushes out of gates

Sam Johnson, Photographer

Photo Courtesy Tod Clements
Photo Courtesy Tod Clements

The Ponies girls soccer team is starting the season in a stampede, winning the first six of their seven games played and allowing no more than two goals against them.

The girls lost a match for the first time this season on Monday, September 8th to No.2 ranked East Ridge, and have been practicing hard and preparing themselves for the rest of the season.

The girls were undefeated, with zero goals against until their most recent match-up against East Ridge, who were predicted by all three of the team members interviewed to be the toughest team to play this season.

Senior Lexi Feyen explained; “East Ridge has always been a tough match and they gave us a good game the other night, but it was a close game that we probably should have won”.

Up until their match against East Ridge, the sophomore goalkeeper, Evie Kohn was on a roll, not allowing a single ball to pass into the net. The now ranked third in the state East Ridge team, managed to net two, but couldn’t shut down the Ponies completely, as they managed to score once and keep the game close.

“The whole team is proud of Evie, she has been our rock and she keeps us in every game.  Nobody blames her for letting in a couple goals the other night, especially against a tough team like East Ridge” junior player Lauryn Gosso said.

Even though the girls are working hard to improve their skills, the team’s success does not just come from the outstanding goalie, or the intensity of practice, but its the close bond that the players have together that creates a chemistry no team can stop.

Our team is like one big family, We push each other at practice but we also do team bonding activities so we are playing with our friends, not just our teammates.

— Ellie Fedorowski

Junior player Lauryn Gosso said, “We all get along very well as a team, we take care of the younger girls and the older girls take care of us.”

The same type of response came from sophomore player, Ellie Fedorowski; “Our team is like one big family, We push each other at practice but we also do team bonding activities so we are playing with our friends, not just our team mates.”

Feyen added “Our team is going to be a threat this year, we are determined to get to the state tournament, and we are willing to leave everything on the field, even when we are losing, even when we are tired, we will keep on pushing through and come out on top”.