Ylitalo gets national attention for science innovation

Justin Hannasch, Editor-in-Chief

While many students worry about the day to day homework or what test they have to study for, one student at SAHS is exceeding not only at Stillwater, but at a national level as well. His unique and innovating science invention has been recognized not only at the Da Vinci Fest and by Stillwater, but the nation has taken note of what could help shape the future.

I was just very honored to see that my research is among the best.

— Max Ylitalo

Max Ylitalo has a natural gift for science that very few people have; not to mention he is only a senior this year at SAHS. Ylitalo was recently named semi finalist to a national Science Talent Search competition. Ylitalo was one of only four students in Minnesota to receive this prestigious award. The competition, sponsored by Intel, was looking for the best young minds and innovators at a pre collegiate level. Ylitalo’s project was one all about conservation.

“I designed a new method for producing ethanol from waste paper that is more cost effective than using corn. The project is called ‘Experimental Design Optimization of Surfactant Enhanced Waste Paper Hydrolysis,” Ylitalo said.

The project not only earned Ylitalo a spot as one of only 300 students in the country to receive this award, but locally it won the Da Vinci Fest that was held on January 9th at SAHS. Along with that, Intel donated one thousand dollars to SAHS for the science department and Ylitalo also received one thousand dollars for his work.

Ylitalo explained, “I came up with my design after seeing articles in the newspaper about how corn isn’t a good source of ethanol, so I researched other types of ethanol and found that it’s possible to make ethanol from any source of cellulose and paper is full of refined cellulose so I thought I’d give it a try.”

This award Ylitalo won is a great honor based on how prestigious the Science Talent Search is. Selecting only 300 students out of the thousands of project and inventions students designed from around the country, and Ylitalo was one of them. This sets

Ylitalo up with a network of years prior winners that can help once Ylitalo is just out of college, ready for a job. In fact, Stillwater Gazette reported, “Alumni of the Science Talent Search have made extraordinary contributions to science and hold more than 100 of the world’s most distinguished science and math honors, including the Nobel Prize and the National Medal of Science. ” For Ylitalo, this is only the beginning of a long and successful journey.

Ylitalo said, ” I was honestly very surprised to be chosen for the award because I have seen the high caliber of the research high school students like me all around the world are doing, and I was just very honored to see that my research is among the best. I think this will definitely help me in college since I hope to continue my research, and hopefully work in developing new renewable energies.”