November levy renewal will affect many

Emily Landgreen

One could say she loves music. Junior Megan Ellison has been playing viola for eight years. She is a passionate member of the concert and chamber choir and orchestra. However, this fall’s levy could change it all.

Stillwater area residents will vote on a levy that would renew the current economic plan and add on an extra $4 million, to go into effect for the 2014-2015 school year on Nov. 5. If the levy fails, every student in the Stillwater school district will be affected in various ways.

“We would be impacted by class size increases, a 4-day school week, reductions in our excellent music program, and cuts to athletics and fee increases,” said Kristina Smitten, levy advocate and mother of three children in the school district.

On the other hand, said Smitten, “an approved levy means going forward with educational excellence, safety improvements to school and the addition of art and world languages in elementary schools; increased anti-bullying programs and mental health services district-wide for all kids.”

Ellison devotes a large portion of her day to the music classes and practice she so enjoys, and hopes to take every musical opportunity she’s given. She contributes her love of music to Stillwater’s strong programs.

“Music isn’t a large part of my life, it is my life!” said Ellison. “Music has engulfed everything.”

Senior Sofia Logan agrees. She cannot imagine a school without music, and although she will graduate before the levy goes into effect, she still stresses its importance.

“Seniors do care,” said Logan. “We know how much music means. It is ingrained in all of our lives.”

Many music students feel a special bond with their music teachers and classmates.

“In addition to [music] theory, you’re getting pieces of life information from music instructors that you don’t normally get from other teachers,” said Logan. “There is a distinct musical community in Stillwater. We are widely known for our high level of high school music.”

For those already involved in the levy, the most crucial issue is spreading the word.

“Although some people are simply not willing to pay for the levy, most people are misinformed,” said Logan. “They don’t realize just how deeply it affects students.”

Smitten recommends taking action in any way possible, even on a smaller scale.

“I’m suggesting people sign up on the Our Schools Our Valley website to support the levy and for weekly messages, and tell their neighbors and friends how important it is to vote yes on November 5,” said Smitten.

No matter what the outcome is, students in District 834 face alterations in their education.