Homegrown talent displayed at Stillwater’s Fine Arts Walk

Photo by Anna Craggs
“We like kooky. We like to have fun and be kind of outside the box,” said Gallery 310.

Caitlin Rademacher, Photographer

Stillwater is full of people with artistic talents. Seven local galleries, three of which are in downtown Stillwater, are sharing their work with the community in the Fine Arts Walk. The art in this walk is created by local artists and can be anything from a painting to a sculpture which uses magnetic energy to stay in motion.

Art on Main is Stillwater’s fine arts walk. It is an evening where galleries of Stillwater are open late, displaying works from local artists.

“It’s been going on for six years. It’s been a quarterly event. Now it’s down to three times a year, but it’s just a way for local artists to come out and visit the public. You normally don’t see the artist when we are selling art for them,” says Tracy Mazanec.

“I’m a sculptor. I also do some photography. I do kinetic moving sculptures. You can see that they kind of rotate like mobiles. And I also do some of the photography around Stillwater.

— Tom Brewitz

The Fine Arts Walk is simple a way for the artist to connect with buyers and people who find interest in their art.The artist can explain and provide the best details information about the piece.

Mazanec is the owner of Tamarack Gallery. “Tamarack Gallery has been in Stillwater since 1982. I’ve been with it since 1990. We are a fine art gallery. We are not a gift shop. Our specialty has been fine art, fine craft, and fine craft sort of dips into pottery work. But it’s all locally made. But we do paintings, sculptures, etching; the upper end of art. We don’t sell reproductions. It’s limited in what we do. Most of our artist are mid career artists. They’ve probably been doing it for eight, ten, fifteen years and are known in the business. Since we’ve been here so long we know almost all the artists up and down the St. Croix Valley and many of them in the Twin Cities.”

Tamarack is one of the main galleries in the show. The gallery is full of local artists’ works with prices to match the quality.

Gallery 310 is also involved in the walk. Worker, Deb Judge, says, “We like kooky. We like to have fun and be kind of outside the box.”

Everything at 310 is handmade and sixty to seventy percent is locally made. In this art walk they are focusing on our jewelry. Local artist, Tom Brewitz, has many different types of art ranging from photos to metal sculptures. “I’m a sculptor. I also do some photography. I do kinetic moving sculptures. You can see that they kind of rotate like mobiles. And I also do some of the photography around Stillwater.”

Brewitz’s work can be seen at the gallery, but also around town in the 2013-2014 Scenic Calendar and his book Images of Stillwater.

For those students wanting to display their art, Gallery 310 said, “Oh definitely! We’d love to.” Art is a way to express yourself and this show gives you a chance to see locals show themselves in an artistic way.