Stillwater Pony Express

Maysen Puhrmann prepares for role as Student Council President

Photo by Lavender Schleder
Junior Maysen Puhrmann organizes her calendar for the next couple weeks. She is constantly on the move, always filling up her time with activities.

Junior Maysen Puhrmann is one of the newly elected presidents for Student Council next year. She not only participates on the board, but she also has a wide range of other activities she is a part of whenever she has free moment to spare.

It all started during her freshman year, Puhrmann decided to go to an informational meeting about student council. Even though she was unsure, she decided to run anyway and eventually got elected.

Puhrmann immediately “fell in love with it” and stayed on it until her junior year.

Junior Ainsley Smith, the other Student Council President for next year, had a similar experience. She joined her sophomore year, and the two of them started running campaigns together.

She is really good at communicating with people. She is a very social person which is super influential to me because she just talks and makes friends with everyone, making sure everyone feels good. So that’s what I love about her,” Smith said. 

Puhrmann’s schedule is packed with other things she does outside of Student Council. She is involved in the Pony TRUST Club, part of the spring musical, involved in the BIPOC Union, secretary and future president of Stillwater Concert Choir, Vagabonds and is captain of the swim and dive team.

I want to keep up the Puhrmann Legacy.”

— Maysen Puhrmann

Her main way of keeping organized is through delegating certain activities to certain days, for instance, working out on Mondays, Student Council on Tuesdays and choir on Wednesdays. According to Puhrmann, her calendar and planner are some of her best friends when it comes to figuring out her schedule.

Her positive character has just as wide of a range as her activities do. She likes being around others, especially when she can be helpful in any way she can.

“She is extremely selfless, and I mean extremely. She does everything for other people,” junior Amanda Schraut said. “She is also very inclusive. She will talk to anyone and everyone and she will be kind to them as well.”

Smith and Puhrmann’s goals for next year go along the lines of those strengths, including inclusivity and fighting discrimination. They want to keep pushing for each student to have a good high school experience, and that is through supporting each student individually and having resources for students at any step in their journey.

I think Stillwater has done so many great things and we are in a great position, but everyone can always continue to improve,”  Puhrmann said. “I want to keep growing, I want to keep changing and I want to keep being the great school that we are.”

Family has been a large influence to Puhrmann’s success over the years. Both of her parents have worked in the district for many years, and there have been many Puhrmann daughters who have done their share of activities at the high school. It has been rather “inspiring to watch them do so much for Stillwater.”

“I want to keep up the Puhrmann Legacy,” Puhrmann said. “That is something that always gives me motivation.”