Cole Nuss forms first sailing club at high school

Junior+Cole+Nuss+recently+started+a+new+sailing+club+at+the+high+school+and+is+hoping+that+it+continues+to+grow.+He+started+this+club+to+compete+with+neighboring+schools.+
Photo by Mady Richert
Junior Cole Nuss recently started a new sailing club at the high school and is hoping that it continues to grow. He started this club to compete with neighboring schools.

Junior Cole Nuss recently introduced a new sailing club  at the high school in order to compete with neighboring schools. So far this fall, they have been building the team’s culture, practicing and adding members. The club has continued to grow, and Nuss is hopeful that it is able to reach a larger audience of people. 

In order for this club to become an actual team at the school, they must have at least four members. Fortunately, they have achieved this standard, but have experienced hardships with both starting this club, and overall the ability for it to be turned it into a team.

“We haven’t officially started it as a team because ‘they’ wont let us make it an official sport like other schools. But we are trying to get there and get enough people to join so that ‘they’ basically can’t deny us,” junior Cole Nuss explained. 

With the start of this club, the hopes and goals continue to grow. When a club is started, it potentially may take a while to build it up and have many people involved with it. Right now, the sailing club consists of only juniors and seniors, four in total. 

I hope that it can eventually reach more people and that it can grow and stay continuing even after all of us leave high school.

— Cole Nuss

Although they have a steady foundation, Nuss explained, “I hope that it can eventually reach more people and that it can grow and stay continuing even after all of us leave high school.”

With the hope of expanding the sailing club, having no prior experience to joining is not a problem.  The White Bear Lake sailing club, allows for new members to join and learn the ropes of sailing. All ages can partake in sailing, and continue it throughout their lifetime.

While Nuss explained that sailing is a very fun sport, and to reach out if you’re interested at all, he also mentioned “you could end up doing sailing as a lifetime sport.”

Within a club you need both a creator and a leader to make it become successful. Junior Kaitelyn Anderson has been a part of the White Bear Lake sailing club for years, and was recently named captain of the schools sailing club. This was because of her worth ethic, involvement in the sport and support towards her teammates.

Anderson said she was heavily involved with the sport in all three seasons which aided her with becoming captain of the sailing team. 

If you’re hoping to join and become a member, you must be signed up for either the St. Croix sailing school, or White Bear sailing school. Sailing is very simple, and a skilled instructor can teach the basics in just one day. It does not take much to learn, but it is also important that someone is safely learning the basics of becoming a sailor.

“It really doesn’t take much, you just have to sign up for one of the sailing clubs,” Nuss explained. 

Many clubs at school have a very tight knit group of kids, who push each other to become a better person and member. The sailing club consists of four hard working high school students with incredible drive.

Anderson explained how they are very close, and that the club is more like a family than a team. 

The sailing club is an inclusive group that is open to everyone joining. They are a close group of high school students who are hardworking and want to expand their club to anyone who has interest in sailing, or wants to try something new.