Boys hockey makes State tournament

Travis Johnson

The Stillwater boys hockey team made the state tournament for the first time ever this year. They lost both of their games, losing to Edina and Duluth East. It was an impressive showing for Stillwater at section finals, as they beat Hill Murray 1-0 to get into the tournament. Hill Murray was ranked third overall in the state for class 4AA. Stillwater was never expected to beat them.

Senior Brandon Jungman scored the game winning goal with 12:45 left in the third period. After having a scoreless first period, Hill Murray struck first in the second period. Stillwater’s own senior Johnny Heddle tied it up, sending it into a tied second intermission. Jungman scored what ended up being the game winner and Stillwater fans went wild. When the horn sounded signaling the end of the third, the Coliseum was rocking. Students jumped up and down, chairs broke. Every Stillwater fan in the building was excited.

Stillwater then moved on to play Edina in the first round of the tournament. They lost to the Hornets 6-1. It was an exciting game, as many fans for both teams showed up, but Edina had the edge. Stillwater student tickets sold out within the first day they were on sale, and not a single student regretted buying a ticket.

“It was a great experience to play in front of that many people. The games didn’t really feel any different, we just played them like it was another game,” said senior defenseman Wyatt Stotts.

The Ponies moved on to play Duluth East in the consolation round at Mariucci Arena. Many students skipped school Friday to watch and support their team. The Stillwater student section was in full force, chanting throughout the game. The game went in to overtime, and Duluth East put in a backhand goal over the shoulder of sophomore goalie Josh Benson. It was a crushing loss for Stillwater, as it marked the end of another season. Many seniors stayed on the ice after the shaking hands with the opponents. The loss marked the end of the seniors’ high school hockey career.

“It was really cool to see that we had our school and community behind us. It means a lot, and it’s great to know that there are that many people who support their team,” explained Stotts.

Coach Doman took his team to state in his first year with Stillwater. It was a very impressive first season for Dolman, and it is safe to say that he is guaranteed a coaching job next year.

“Coach Doman was great,” said Stotts. “He really pushed us, but he was hard on us. In the end, it all paid off. I mean, we did make the state tournament for the first time in Stillwater history.”

Going 0-2 wasn’t exactly what coach Doman and the boys hoped for in the state tournament, but it is very impressive that they made it for the first time in Stillwater high school hockey history.