Cates skates onward with future hockey career

Megan Karnuth, Online editor

Senior Jackson Cates has been working nearly his whole life at the sport of hockey and it seems like his career has only just begun. It started 13 years ago, playing Mites hockey, and has lead him to being the captain of the boys hockey team.

Cates is a versatile player. He has played every position besides goalie at one time or another but this season he played as a centermen. His job does not end when he steps off the ice. As a captain, he has to set a strong example and be a role model.

“Sometimes it is hard to keep the team focused and motivated if times get tough and we have to face adversity. They are always looking up to you and I never want to let them down,” Cates said.

Successful senior year ends

Cates did not let his team down. He has helped guide his team to win first in conference, sections and go to the state tournament. The team beat Farmington in the first game where he scored himself two goals and they continued on to place fourth in the tournament which is the farthest Stillwater boys hockey has ever made it in the tournament.

“It wasn’t the outcome we wanted in the state tournament but winning a conference championship and a section championship while going 27-3-1 is pretty tough to beat,” Cates explained.

At the end of the tournament Cates received the Herb Brooks Award. This award is given to the player in the state that demonstrates the values, characteristics, and traits that defined Herb Brooks. Herb Brooks is one of the most famous names in hockey. He was the coach of the U.S olympic hockey team to win the gold medal in 1980 at Lake Placid. Cates was also selected to be on the All Tournament Team.

“It’s an honor to be nominated and win it, and looking back at the previous winners, it’s pretty special,” Cates added.

Strong connections with other players

The other captain on the team is senior Simon Sagissor. Sagissor and Cates have been not only teammates, but friends since elementary school; back when they both played in Squirts. They have both been on varsity as sophomores, which is incredibly hard to do with the amount of boys who try out.

“He has a really big hockey IQ,” Sagissor said. “ I would not want any other person to be Co captains with.”

Hockey has been running in the family for a long time. Cates also plays on a line with his younger brother, junior Noah Cates. Because their dad, Jeffrey Cates, and uncle, Jay Cates played, they both started at a very young age. Jackson started when he was 5 and Noah when he was 4. Jay Cates played at the University of Minnesota and is on the list of Golden Gophers who scored 50 or more goals during their time of playing at the school.  Jeffrey Cates played college hockey as well at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls.

“We try to learn from them, play like them and we also try and make them proud,” Noah Cates explained.

Before high school season started they would play together every other year as age groups changed. They have grown up playing the sport together which has made them very close. Now they work together to make goals and assists on the starting line of their high schools team.

“It’s fun playing with Jackson, we always talk about new things to try,” Noah said. “We compete against each other and we make eachother better.  Not playing with him is weird, but I’ve done it before. Jackson committed to Michigan Tech and I hope to join him there.”

Noah Cates was one of the assistant captains this year and already seems to be going in the same direction that his older brother is.

“He leads by example and shows the younger guys what needs to be done, but if something needs to be said he will say it,” Noah Cates explained.

Although it seems like Cates is all about hockey he definitely has a life outside of hockey. He maintains a strong social life and keeps his grades in check. Now that the seasons over he’s going to have more time to do other activities outside of hockey.

“When I’m not playing hockey I like to hangout with my friends. I also, like to go to my cabin to ski, tube, wakeboard and fish,” Cates said.

Hockey goes on after high school

Cates has committed to the Michigan Technical University which is a college at the D1 level. First he will be playing in the United States Hockey League, (USHL)  juniors league and then transition into college hockey. His brother Noah has also been drafted.

“I like the campus a lot. It has a great campus and a great coaching staff, and if things work out in college, I would love to play in the pros,” Cates added.

No matter where Cates ends up this season will forever go into the record books for being one of the best. It will set a high expectations for the rest of the years to come.

“I have so many memorable memories [in hockey], but it’s pretty tough to beat everything that happened this year,” Cates added.