Stillwater Pony Express

Gun Regulations in the U.S

The Supreme Court allowed President Biden to regulate “ghost gun” laws
Getty Images/iStockphoto
Stop gun violence sign pin front of a blue sky. A simple message to stop gun violence across the country and also the world. With restricted gun laws gun violence will decrease across the country

Gun violence and school shootings are becoming more common in U.S society. According to a 2022 analysis from the Pew Research center, “Gun injuries are the leading cause of death among U.S children and teens ages 1-19”. Earlier this month the Supreme Court sided with President Biden over the controversial Missouri “ghost gun” laws. Before police who attempted to enforce gun laws were issued lawsuits. These new laws aren’t necessarily a ban on ghost guns it just requires manufacturers to place serial numbers on their products in order for law enforcement to track and regulate which ones are being used for crimes.

“Ghost guns” are guns that are unserialized, untraceable and unregulated. These “ghost guns” can be purchased by anyone including people who are prohibited from using firearms and unfortunately minors. “Ghost guns” are typically kits that are purchased online. With a couple of how-to guides you can build a fully-functional firearm in your own home. Ghost guns are also becoming convenient to use for crimes. According to Giffords.org, “Ghost guns don’t have a serial number or other markings. That leaves law enforcement without a critical piece of information used to solve crimes”. Criminals, drug dealers and members of gangs are also relying more on ghost guns because of how convenient they are to get a hold of.

Some might argue that the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. The Second Amendment was written in 1771 as a way for Americans to have weapons to protect themselves,their property and their rights. Some argue about owning a firearm as a means of self-protection. But the Founding Fathers and members of those responsible for the creation of the Constitution couldn’t have predicted what modern firearms would be like, which are significantly more powerful than anything of their time. Another valid reason for owning a firearm is for individuals that participate in a recreational sport such as hunting or sports shooting which can contribute to outdoor traditions and our economy.

Gun violence is becoming more and more deadly in the United States. According to the American Public Health Association (APHA), “U.S guns kill more than 38,000 people and cause nearly 85,000 injuries each year “. It’s important to note that a large number of these deaths and injuries were committed with ghost guns. Ghost guns are also getting cheaper and more affordable with the average costing between $800-$1000. Although the cost of the ghost guns are more expensive than an average licensed gun ($400-$800), in general they are still relatively cheap for a firearm.

Although the Second Amendment allows U.S citizens the rights to bear arms as a means of protection ,gun laws in the U.S need to be stricter and heavily enforced specifically ghost guns. Ghost gun laws in not just Missouri but the rest of the U.S. Ghost gun laws are only enforced in 13 of the 50 states as of 2023 (EveryTownResearch). With action to restrict ghost gun laws in the rest of the country the U.S will be a safer place to live in.