Matschi performs at Academic Awards ceremony

Hannah Crawford, Editor-in-Chief

Receiving an academic award in high school is something many people are proud of but on September 22, senior Sarah Matschi did a whole lot more than receive an award.  As one of Stillwater Area High School student council’s co-presidents, Matschi was already expected to present at the academic awards ceremony, she not only presented, but also sang with the chior and accepted an award for her GPA.

“Being able to receive an award for last year was really rewarding in itself, and presenting with Alaina there made it easier to show my gratitude and congratulate others who received awards as well. It was also nice to see how many student in choir received awards and sing with them at the ceremony as well,” said Matschi when asked what it was like to sing, present and receive an award at the academic award ceremony.

“Being able to receive an award for last year was really rewarding in itself, and presenting with Alaina there made it easier to show my gratitude and congratulate others who received awards as well.

— Sarah Matschi

Along with being in the SAHS concert choir, she has been in many of the musicals the high school produces.  Being in the school’s musicals is a good way for Matschi to stay involved with the student body.

“A few [musicals] that I have been in are Footloose, Little Shop of Horrors, and The Wizard of Oz. Singing has definitely been a good way to stay involved because there are many different opportunities to sing, such as in a musical or at a football game, that allows me to be introduced or catch up with different people. Staying involved is very important and is also a fun way to experience all the opportunities the high school has to offer,” said Matschi.

Though Matschi is a busy student with homework, musicals, student government and much more, she does her best to wisely manage her time.

“Putting on a musical is a pretty big time commitment especially if you have a part that is in a lot of the show. I try to make sure to get schoolwork done before I practice or go to a rehearsal so I am not worried about it when I get home late.  It typically is rehearsal every day after school for about two hours or so but over tech week it is rehearsal every day after school until about 9:00. That week usually is the longest but very necessary for the show to be successful. For student council we have meetings every Monday morning before school and Alaina and I go to the school board meetings that are every other Thursday regularly. Depending on how close our next event is and what still needs to be done makes the time commitment vary. For example, over homecoming week we were busy every day during school selling food and pony pride gear and we were busy after school working on logistics for the pepfest and attending activities held during that week,” said Matschi.

Some say that high school was the best four years of their life, but for Matschi, this is only the beginning.