Jill Roth holds down the fort in main office

Front office located in the main rotunda where secretary, Jill Roth helps students navigate to classes. Roth joined the main office staff last year.
Photo by Lainey Zinda

Security is a large concern for school, there are many different protocols implemented to make school the safest place for each student. A big part of security is in the front office, she is secretary Jill Roth.

If students are leaving or entering the school they must go through Roth, she is responsible for every student who is arriving or exiting from 7:40 a.m.-2:10 p.m. Many people may not understand how important Roth is to the school. She plays a large part in monitoring attendance each day to ensure students are where they are supposed to be.

Roth takes her job very seriously, there are many guests that arrive each day whether for meetings or guest speaking. Roth has a system in place to ensure every guest entering is safe. Guests arriving will speak with Roth, who will then get a copy of their driver’s license.

“We do have a check in system that does a quick background check on all of the visitors,” Roth explained.

Once Roth has guaranteed that person is able to enter the building, she gives them a sticker and directs them where they need to go. Roth makes sure every non-student is looked over and safe to enter the building at all times.

“I think Jill is very good at what she does and is a great first face for the school,” paraprofessional Joanna Tom said.

Roth is the first person to welcome anyone entering the school, she makes sure to always have a smile on her face and a positive attitude towards people.

“Jill never leaves her post unattended,” Tom explained.

Keeping the school safe and secure is her top priority for students, there is rarely a time where Jill is not in the front office.

What we all strive is for students to be happy, healthy, and in class actively engaging in learning.

— Jill Roth

For students who are in 916 or PSEO and get to school later or arrive during third hour they are given a pass issued by their Pony Center. That gives them access to enter or leave the building. Even with this pass, they still must go through the front office, Roth makes sure to not just let anyone in. Even if she knows them, they must have a pass to be able to get through to the school.

“I just show her my 916 pass and I can get in,” senior Jon Kost said. But there are other security measures in place to make sure school is secure during hours. “I think it’s nice because all of the other doors are locked, the only way in is through her. She won’t let you in unless you have a reason,” Kost added.

The front office can get very hectic throughout the day, with minimal space to occupy students and guests that are arriving and leaving. Lines can begin to form quickly.

When asking what time of the day the front office was busiest, Roth said “probably between 7:40 and in that first 20 to 30 minutes of the day, with students arriving late, and visitors coming in. That always seems to be a really busy part of the day.”

With a lot of students arriving late or leaving for appointments, Roth is responsible for putting in all attendance for each and every one. Security advanced, but efficiency not so much. She manually enters each name and attendance, which can take a while. To speed along the process, Roth will write names and times down and enter attendance later. To clear up space in the office and also make sure students are getting to class as fast as possible.

A bond has been passed and a sum of money is going towards new security. Administration is discussing a more open area located in the front office “so students and guests aren’t as congested when they’re coming in,” Roth said.

Money from the bond may also go towards hiring more staff to assist in the office, so during busy hours to ensure every student gets checked in and properly marked attendance.

Roth works to ensure the safety of the students and staff. “What we all strive is for students to be happy, healthy, and in class actively engaging in learning,” Roth explained.

As security continues to advance, more staff will be added to help speed along the process of letting students into school. But as of now, Roth has been doing it all by herself. Her job is underestimated and overlooked, but she continues to ensure the safety of the school while maintaining a smile on her face.

Roth is a great advocate for success and only wants what is best for every student. Her day is hectic, but she manages to still keep a positive attitude and get students to where they need to be.

View Comments (1)