The senior sunset is something that brings the senior class together for one last hoorah before they all graduate. This year the sunset was held on May 9.
Photo submitted by Gigi Zawislak

Senior sunset brings the senior class together before graduation

The senior sunset is something that brings the senior class together for one last hoorah before they all graduate on June 1 and go their separate ways. This year the sunset will be held on May 9, in the Pony stadium. There will be Nelsons ice cream provided for the students by the student council. Many students also bring games and activities to play with their friends and peers.

Junior Joe Fredkove is a member of student council and is a key factor in making sure that the senior sunset is a memorable activity for the senior class.

“We are getting all the food and ice cream ready. We reserved the stadium for the senior sunset and hopefully found a good day for the weather,” Fredkove explained.

The sunset is a time where students are able to connect with their classmates or friends that they do not get to see often. Fredkove explained how they might not have a class with their friends and it just gives them time to be together.

The senior class experienced the pandemic of COVID-19 their freshman year of high school. During that time they were not even able to be in the same area as their peers, but now they are able to see a sunset together on the same field. They also were able to attend the senior sunrise this past fall, and it was a huge success of bringing them together.

Senior Ellie Dahlstrom expressed, “I did attend the senior sunrise, it was super fun. There was a ton of people there and there was doughnuts, drinks and I had a great time.”

After high school Dahlstrom is planning to attend the University of North Dakota where she will be studying to become a nurse. She is excited to be able to venture out and meet new people, but she also explained how “she will miss all of her friends and family dearly.”

Dahlstrom believes that the teachers at the school have also had a large impact on her and where she is today. They are all always there for every student and have gotten them all to the point where they are able to graduate and choose a career path that they want to pursue.

“They helped me out with a lot of things and stuff that I was going through and I still have relationships with them today,” Dahlstrom explained.

Being a senior is something that students only get to experience once is your life, so it is important that the student council makes this sunset special for them.

“In order to have a good send off the weather will hopefully be good and there will be a pretty sunset for them to be able to see.”

— Joe Fredkove

Senior Elsa Swenson is planning to attend the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs this upcoming fall to continue her educational career, and pursue division 2 lacrosse. She believes that it is important for the senior class to be able to experience things together as a whole to build a bond within the high school community.

The senior sunset is more for the students to connect with each other, than to watch the sunset. Fredkove believes that it is a fun activity for the seniors and he is excited to be able to experience it next year when he becomes a senior.

“It is a activity that all students are able to participate in, and they are able to play football and stuff on the field,” Fredkove explained.

At the beginning of there high school journey the seniors were not even able to learn in a classroom together because of the epidemic that was occuring. Now, they are able to be in classrooms learning with each other and growing with there peers. The sunset is a resemblance of the light at the end of the tunnel. No matter how hard times got in high school they all made it to the end and are going to be able to walk the stage together as the senior class of 2024.