New elementary school to open in Woodbury

January 15, 2016

Stillwater is a growing community homes to many, in the district, with kids filling up schools quickly. Next fall in 2017 a new school in Woodbury will be open, except it is still in the Stillwater district.

Stillwater has bought a new school to their district, except it is in Woodbury to help the overcrowd in Lake Elmo. The principal chosen for the job was the original principal of Lily Lake, Mark Drommerhausen.

“[It] will alleviate overcrowding at Lake Elmo [and] all of our student growth is in the south end of the district, so the placement was appropriate,” said Superintendent Denise Pontrelli. “We have to change the philosophy of the middle levels and build room for the ninth graders,” added Assistant Principal Bill Howlett.

Stillwater district is a growing community and wants to put a new school where to is needed most. It’s also beneficial to surrounding areas that aren’t in the community. The board also believes that their present layout of  elementary schools bring a barrier to students.

“[Woodbury] is the fastest growing part of our school district and the municipalities from here north are limiting, how small some of the acreage can be, which means you can only have so many houses in the area, [but in] Woodbury you can put them near each other and get many houses, which then brings families and children,” said Howlett.

“The barriers that rose to the top of the list for all the groups are class size, staff issues and access to resources,” Robert McDowell, director of learning and innovation said to the Stillwater Gazette.

Since our community is so huge, there’s already an estimated number of students that will attend the school next fall. Also the name of the new school is still on its way.

“There is a community process underway to name the school,” said Pontrelli. “We expect 450-600 students to attend.”

The new school entering Stillwater cost many dollars and with the help of the Stillwater community we were able to gain a beautiful school.

“We are grateful to the community for passing the bond referendum to build the new school which will accommodate the students who were attending Valley Crossing Community School,” said Pontrelli.

Valley Crossing Community School was sold this year and some families are in need of a school close by. Well the new school in Woodbury is near many families that aren’t in the Stillwater community, but we plan to take some students from that school as well.

“[The] school was sold this year and we expect about 250 students from VCCS to attend,” said Pontrelli.

Before the school even opens they already have a plan of what teaching is going to be done, with orchestra, band and literature. The board of the new school also has a plan to include all cultures and make sure the staff and students who go is included, to the best of their abilities, even before it has even opened.

“[It’s built] a bit traditional with orchestra, band, music and art, as well as the fundamentals of reading, writing and arithmetic, but culturally they are trying very hard to make it much more accepting much more welcoming, but the intention behind is what their after,” said Howlett.

View Comments (3)

• E

Emma StansburyDec 21, 2018 at 9:22 am

I like how the artical starts off with a quote, good attention getter. I also like the depth and language in the quotes and the fact paragraphs. I also just enjoyed learning about the new school, because I knew nothing about it before. I like the people they choose to interview, you can tell they knew what they were talking about.

Reply
  • D

Dylan FosterFeb 16, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I really enjoyed learning about the new school being placed in Woodbury as it effects my life especially. I enjoyed the interviews and thought they were really carried out well and organized well especially with how difficult it can be to interview these higher up official people. Great article!

Reply
    • D

Dylan FosterFeb 16, 2016 at 8:56 pm

*it can be to plan an interview

Reply
3