Boys, girls hockey begin season

November 20, 2017

Underclassmen take over boys hockey team

The Ponies have high hopes for the season, and they aren’t even remotely out of reach. “Our goal is… to win a conference championship...then to win a section championship...and then put ourselves in a place to win a state championship,” Coach Pete Hamilton said. The Ponies have been to state two times in the last three years, so going back to state again this year is not out of the question.

This year’s Stillwater boys hockey season started on Nov. 13.  Stillwater will have its positives and negatives but with the help of the coaches and captain, the team could make it to state.

This years team is going to include underclassmen due to the fact that the team lost 13 seniors last year. The team will be looking for leadership in the captains and the few returning players.

“Last year we had 13 seniors,” Assistant Coach Pete Hamilton said “This years team will be mostly younger guys.”

The varsity team last year had mostly seniors which leaves the team searching for leadership. Hopefully with the help of the coaches and returning players this team could make it to state.

Hamilton said, “Last year we had a talented group of sophomores.” The sophomores then are the juniors now who will make up the majority of the hockey team this year.

There is not a lot of confidence yet, but I think the coaches are doing a good job getting the guys ready and by the first game we will be back to normal like any other year.”

— Matthew McGinley

This year’s juniors to look out for would include Adam Eisele, Teddy Sagissor and Joe Raleigh. Last year these four players showed excellent skill and leadership throughout the season in the past year.

“There is not a lot of confidence yet, but I think the coaches are doing a good job getting the guys ready and by the first game we will be back to normal like any other year.” said senior and captain Matthew McGinley.

Last year the team went 22-3 with the help of Noah Cates, Luke Manning and Matthew Stanton, who graduated last year. This year the juniors and sophomores are going to have to step up to the plate to continue the reputation Stillwater has had.

McGinley said “White Bear is always the biggest rival in the conference and Cretin is always another good conference game.” These are going to be the most competitive team that Stillwater will face this year.

Last year in both games against Cretin-Derham Hall Stillwater came out on top. With the first game’s score being 5-2 and the 2nd being 9-2. White Bear is a different story, When Stillwater had a close loss, 2-1. But they pulled through at the second game going 4-0.

If this season goes well, the 2017-2018 team could get a state title. “Our goal is… to win a conference championship…then to win a section championship…and then put ourselves in a place to win a state championship.” coach Hamilton said.

1. Chloe Squires on December 6th, 2017 6:21 pm

I really enjoyed reading these stories. They both had a good amount of information with strong quotes. While they were separate stories it was interesting to learn that both boys and girls teams plan on building for the future with their younger players.

2. Wyatt Wasko on December 13th, 2017 9:01 am

I think that the boys hockey story was really well done overall. It was very informative and for those that don’t follow the team very much will now have a better understanding of how tough it will be after losing 13 seniors. The quotes were very informative and also very impactful towards the story.

3. Logan Huber on December 17th, 2017 2:43 pm

The boys hockey story was very good. It had a lot of good facts and you did good research on your topic. You also included good and reasonable quotes and had good facts to go with your quotes.

4. Logan Huber on December 17th, 2017 2:51 pm

The boys hockey story was done very well and the author also did a lot of good research and had very good quotes and facts. The quotes were very good in helping connect to the story and you did a very good job explaining the story so that anyone could read it and understand it.

5. Jesse Brown on December 17th, 2017 7:43 pm

I think both the boys and girls hockey stories were done very well. They were both very informative about not only the team, but other teams that they have played or are scheduled to play. The whole article flowed very well and there was a lot of strong quotes from the players and coaches. Also I liked the pictures that went with the article because I thought they provided color and a little sneak peek of the teams on the ice.

6. Susan Hubbard on December 18th, 2017 12:14 am

In the article it said that the majority of the team was juniors but in the headline it said underclassmen, which juniors are not, so maybe adjust the focus or title to fit each other better. Also, i may be wrong, but I don’t believe Teddy is the main goalie of the team and therefor would not be the one to watch because there is someone ahead of him I believe. The timeline is a bit confusing at first but once I figured it out it was pretty cool.

7. Jack Seipel on December 18th, 2017 8:11 am

The boys article was very confusing, because wording and since you named three players and then wrote that there were four players to look out for. As Susan said, Jesse Brown should be the one to look out for since he is one of the top junior goalies in the state. Overall though, it was a very informative article considering the youth of the team.

8. Jack Seipel on December 18th, 2017 8:13 am

This article was researched well, however had some improvements. You mentioned there were four players to watch for, and only mentioned three. Teddy Sagisor was mentioned as a player to watch, but he is the backup goalie to Jesse Brown, one of the best goalies in the state. i think this was a missed opportunity to show the talent on the team. overall this was an informative article, considering the youth of the team

Young girls hockey team ready for season

Another season for Stillwater girls hockey is just around the corner. The first game for the Ponies was held on Thursday Nov. 16 against Tartan at home. The season ended last year with a regular season record of 9-16-1, and a heartbreaking loss to Forest Lake in the first round of playoffs.

This season is a different story however, the previous coach of the team Tony Scheid resigned after coaching Stillwater for 14 seasons, leading the team to 2 state titles, and finishing with an overall record of 260-112-21. After being an assistant coach of the team for 13 seasons, Lee Gillespie took over the position of head coach.

“I really like him as a head coach and I really like what he brings to the team,” sophomore Haley Eder-Zdechlik said when asked about the new coach.

Gillespie is the newest and quite possibly the most important addition to such a young team with so much potential. 

I really like him as a head coach and I really like what he brings to the team.”

— Haley Eder-Zdechlik

Lee Gillespie said, “There’s going to be a lot more opportunities for everyone, especially for the younger players.”

This season will also feel the impact of losing 15 players from last year, some due to graduation and others because of choice. This means that many younger players will have to step in and take a leadership role.

The loss of this many players may not be as bad as it sounds, it will allow for many of the younger players to gain some great experience by playing at a higher level, and provide the team with some new strengths. The team will need every one of the younger players to step up and perform at their maximum potential in order to have success in one of the hardest conferences in all of Minnesota. Although this is a young team, they have all the tools necessary to be successful for many years to come.

Junior Hannah Affolter said, “A big game for us is going to be the Hill-Murray game, that’s one that everyone really wants to win.”

Hill-Murray ended the regular season last year with an outstanding record of 20-4-1, and took third place in the state tournament. The team was scheduled to play Hill-Murray in their second game on Nov. 18.

Head Coach Lee Gillespie said, “The future is really bright for this team, it may take some time but we’ll get there.” 

1. Katelyn Krech on December 17th, 2017 7:15 pm

gives great info about how there going to start there season

2. Mackenzie Motz on December 18th, 2017 5:58 am

These articles were both very well put together and organized, each with a good group of quotes. I really liked how these articles were put as a side by side as well because of how unique both stories are even though they both share the same common theme about the teams being young.