Boys, girls hockey begin season

November 20, 2017

Underclassmen take over boys hockey team

The Ponies have high hopes for the season, and they aren’t even remotely out of reach. “Our goal is… to win a conference championship...then to win a section championship...and then put ourselves in a place to win a state championship,” Coach Pete Hamilton said. The Ponies have been to state two times in the last three years, so going back to state again this year is not out of the question.

This year’s Stillwater boys hockey season started on Nov. 13.  Stillwater will have its positives and negatives but with the help of the coaches and captain, the team could make it to state.

This years team is going to include underclassmen due to the fact that the team lost 13 seniors last year. The team will be looking for leadership in the captains and the few returning players.

“Last year we had 13 seniors,” Assistant Coach Pete Hamilton said “This years team will be mostly younger guys.”

The varsity team last year had mostly seniors which leaves the team searching for leadership. Hopefully with the help of the coaches and returning players this team could make it to state.

Hamilton said, “Last year we had a talented group of sophomores.” The sophomores then are the juniors now who will make up the majority of the hockey team this year.

There is not a lot of confidence yet, but I think the coaches are doing a good job getting the guys ready and by the first game we will be back to normal like any other year.”

— Matthew McGinley

This year’s juniors to look out for would include Adam Eisele, Teddy Sagissor and Joe Raleigh. Last year these four players showed excellent skill and leadership throughout the season in the past year.

“There is not a lot of confidence yet, but I think the coaches are doing a good job getting the guys ready and by the first game we will be back to normal like any other year.” said senior and captain Matthew McGinley.

Last year the team went 22-3 with the help of Noah Cates, Luke Manning and Matthew Stanton, who graduated last year. This year the juniors and sophomores are going to have to step up to the plate to continue the reputation Stillwater has had.

McGinley said “White Bear is always the biggest rival in the conference and Cretin is always another good conference game.” These are going to be the most competitive team that Stillwater will face this year.

Last year in both games against Cretin-Derham Hall Stillwater came out on top. With the first game’s score being 5-2 and the 2nd being 9-2. White Bear is a different story, When Stillwater had a close loss, 2-1. But they pulled through at the second game going 4-0.

If this season goes well, the 2017-2018 team could get a state title. “Our goal is… to win a conference championship…then to win a section championship…and then put ourselves in a place to win a state championship.” coach Hamilton said.