Gunner Arens nominated Athlete of the Week

Kathy Ness

The Varsity Boys Lacrosse team were facing the Roseville raiders on Friday, May 7th. The boys won that game making their record 12 wins and two losses.

Tyler Kordosky, Broadcast Editor

Tyler Kordosky

05/25/21

Newspaper, Steil

Last Thursday at Mounds View High School, senior Gunner Arens was named athlete of the week. Throughout almost every year of his education, Arens has played lacrosse. Arens has put many hours into training for his love of the game and his team. He loves the aspect of being a part of the game for his teammates and a role model for the upcoming players.

According to The Gazette, Gunner Arens was made Athlete of the Week. Arens plays as a goalie for his varsity team, and in every game, he proves his worth to the team by making countless plays and saves. At Mounds View High School, he made 15 saves, and only allowed three goals. 

After his title was given to him for his valiant efforts for his team, senior Gunner Arens responded, “It felt good to finally get some recognition”.

The seniors are sharing the spotlight as much as they can, but with the addition of Gunner Arens taking the role of Athlete of the Week, the team along with the parents and the fans are all in awe.

Junior Sammy Ness reflects on the announcement about Arens. “I remember being in practice when I heard it. Everyone was silent for a minute but then the team erupted with clapping and cheering. We were all proud that one of our own ended up with the recognition he deserved,” says Ness.

Arens was made captain of the varsity lacrosse team, he puts his all into the game and that has been a strongly recognisable trait by and for him.

“…Also just being able to captain this great group of guys throughout a season makes the greatest memories for me. Though we have a lot of ups and downs, we hope to make the best memories in the playoffs this upcoming week”, senior Gunner Arens said. 

The boys have taken the year off to their advantage. They lifted weights at local gyms and practiced for this season because for some, it might be their last.

“Last year, the impossible happened. Our season was over just before it started. I was a sophomore with high hopes and I wish I was better prepared. Though saying that I was trying to keep myself prepared by lifting as much as possible and playing catch with siblings, even my dad,” says junior Sammy Ness. 

The season off left the rookies on the curb. They were hungry for the long awaited attention given by the roaring stands. This season is different in that sense by having fewer people even being able to cheer for their players.

“Last year was a blur. First we got hit with COVID, then we had no season. I really wanted to show my ability as a sophomore to be able to maybe have a shot of seeing the JV field, or even if my dreams came true, I would have a chance to be able to play for varsity,” says junior Sammy Ness. 

With the Varsity lacrosse teams record of 12 wins and two losses, the team has shown their best efforts to keep the Pony name recognisable throughout the league.

“This season is going great so far honestly, we have been tested more than I thought we would have and responded well. As a team I think if we can win both our games this week and get through sections, we should be poised for a deep playoff run,” senior Gunner Arens said. 

The boys deserve this season as much as anyone deserves anything. They fought hard and bounced back after the year they had off. The Varsity Lacrosse team plans to hold the state title this year, and have a very good shot at it. Their teamwork and star players hold the team in unison.

https://www.hometownsource.com/stillwater_gazette/sports/monty-and-arens-are-sahs-athletes-of-the-week/article_762436ec-aea6-11eb-8241-4303aed167df.html