Brit awards have positive impact on students

This is a picture of Coldplay’s performance at the Brit awards on May 11th, 2021.

Emily Hornbuckle, Business Editor

The Brit Awards have been around for 43 years and are the highest profile music awards in the United Kingdom. Although they are not as well known in America as The Grammys per say, it is a globally recognized event. This year on May 11,  Dua Lipa, Griff, Headie One, Arlo Parks, P!nk, The Weekend, Rag’n’Bone Man, Olivia Rodrigo and Coldplay performed at the event. Along with performances, there were ten awards given out along with a Global icon award that was given to Taylor Swift.

All the people that were given awards at the ceremony were well deserved and on top of that I thought that everyone that performed did an amazing job. Although my favorite would have to be Taylor Swift,” junior Maggie Irwin said.

Swift has been topping charts since she entered the music industry in 2004. She has been number one on the Billboard 100, seven times and has been Top Ten, 29 times. She is very well known around the world and is very loved and appreciated. Taylor Swift has now won two Brit awards: International female solo artist in 2015 and Global Icon in 2021.

I’ve always loved her ever since I was little. And I think like growing up with an artist who’s also growing up does impact you because you know she’s a role model to me, I guess, almost like an older sister, kind of way,” sophomore Amelia Snyder said.

Rodrigo is another artist that was recognized at the event. She has recently skyrocketed charts like never seen before, and has become very popular very quickly. She did not win an award at the event but has launched her career even farther now. She performed her hit single, “Drivers License” at the awards. She has now come out with her first album, “SOUR.

All the people that were given awards at the ceremony were well deserved and on top of that I thought that everyone that performed did an amazing job. Although my favorite would have to be Taylor Swift.”

— Maggie Irwin

Her new album is amazing. When she released ‘Driver’s License’ I knew it was gonna do well but I didn’t think it was going to be number one on the charts for like seven weeks consecutively, so I was like, ‘Wow, go her,’” junior Kate Liss added.

Swift and Rodrigo have sparked an internet friendship,  Rodrigo has always looked up to Swift. They finally got to meet at the awards and hopefully a collaboration is coming soon.

Snyder said it is great, “I think it also goes to show that Swift really does inspire a lot of people to do that, look where Olivia’s at, she’s this big, new artist, and I know that she’s also very inspired by Taylor and her music.”

Everyone wants to get back to normalcy, having award shows and performances, although restricted, are just another step closer towards the goal. Seeing artists come together has a positive impact on everyone, especially fans that watch them closely.

“It’s refreshing to see my favorite artists be able to perform together again. I had so much fun watching them get to do their performances and just be normal again,” Irwin explained.