The love triangle behind hit single ‘Drivers License’

Junior+Amaal+Abdullahi+listens+to+Olivia+Rodrigo%E2%80%99s+hit+single+%E2%80%9CDrivers+License%E2%80%9D.+Abdullahi+listened+to+all+three+artists%2C+but+Olivia%E2%80%99s+was+her+favorite.+

Photo by Kenzie Chang

Junior Amaal Abdullahi listens to Olivia Rodrigo’s hit single “Drivers License”. Abdullahi listened to all three artists, but Olivia’s was her favorite.

Kenzie Chang, Online Editor

“This definitely seems like something their managers set up, but I guess you never know,” junior Amaal Abdullahi said. Olivia Rodrigo, Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter’s new songs have come into the spotlight as the drama between this love triangle heats up. Although no one knows whether all this drama is real or not.

Olivia Rodrigo’s song “Drivers License” recently hit No. 1 in one week, and is said to be like Generation z’s “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift like it was to millennials. Rodrigo released this song as a shoutout to her ex and co-star, Joshua Bassett.

“The meaning behind Olivia’s song was about the fact Joshua taught her how to drive, and he told her he would wait for her to turn 18 so they could be together since he is 20 and Olivia is 17, but he went on to dating Sabrina Carpenter,” freshman Maria Hemingway said. 

However, there has been a lot of controversy around not just the release of Rodrigo’s song, but also the new releases of Sabrina’s song “Skin” and Joshua’s song “Lie Lie Lie”. Everyone is wondering if all their songs were aimed at each other or if it was just one big publicity stunt. 

Abdullahi said this definitely seems like something their managers might have set up. It’s kind of hard to believe that Sabrina and Josh both wrote a song in under 2 weeks that are extremely similar to Olivia’s. 

Sabrina released a statement expressing that her song was not intended to be a comeback to Rodrigo’s song. However, some of the lyrics in her song “Skin” just seem too specific not to be.

“I think she changed some of her lyrics to make it appear that she was. For example the lyric “maybe you didn’t mean it maybe blonde was the only rhyme” looked like it was a comeback to Olivia’s lyrics that said, “you’re probably with that blonde girl,” Hemningway said. 

You could definitely tell how hurt she was and that she really meant everything she wrote,””

— Sam Johnson

In addition, to Sabrina’s statement, Joshua Bassett also released a statement telling fans that his song was not about Rodrigo. Even though Joshua and Sabrina both released statements about their songs, Rodrigo never did. Fans are certain Rodrigo’s song is about Joshua and Sabrina.

Sophomore Sam Johnson believes, “Drivers license is about her and Joshua Bassett, since there’s a lot of stuff in the song that just points to it. Like “probably with that blonde girl” and Josh started seeing Sabrina Carpenter who is blonde” and how it just makes sense. 

Fans did not just figure out all this by listening to their songs, but also through their music videos. Such as Rodrigo’s video where she wore a jacket that looked exactly like the one Joshua wore in the Disney+ series “High school Musical the Series”, and in Sabrina’s video she sat on top of a car that looks a lot like the one in Rodrigo’s video.

Abduhalli said there were also a lot of indirects about Rodrigo in Josh’s music video and Sabrina’s song which was really weird to her. 

Putting aside all of the drama, Rodrigo did accomplish something amazing. Her song “Drivers License” broke the record for the most Spotify listens in a day, with over 15 million streams. Even at 17 years old, she is inspiring people all over the world.

“Listening to the songs I didn’t really think they were all that, but Drivers License was definitely the best,” Johnson said. 

“To be honest I don’t think we will ever know the real story behind all the drama,” Hemningway said.