Students binge a variety of television genres while bored in their homes

Photo by Nila Cooper

Netflix provides a list of the current most popular TV shows. Among them are The Crown and Criminal Minds.

Nila Cooper, Photography Editor

Since March, many families are stuck at home during the COVID-19 lockdown and the majority of them turn to TV shows and series to escape. There is a diverse range of shows and genres that have skyrocketed in popularity in the past few months. Streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are planning on adding and removing several popular TV shows going into 2021.

After putting out a survey to 100 students, over two-thirds of them have watched The Office during quarantine. The Office has 9 seasons, but according to senior Nick Schlender, “…the jokes never get old.”

It has also been announced that The Office will be leaving Netflix in 2021 because the owner of the streaming rights, NBC Universal, let their license with Netflix expire.

Another favorite TV show to watch during lockdown is The Crown, a Netflix-original drama. The history of The Crown as well as the characters make it a very fascinating title to watch.

“Claire Foy? Olivia Colman? Helena Bonham Carter? What more could you ask for?!” senior Sherilyn Patterson explained.

The Crown also draws viewers in with its controversy and political arguments. It is accused of leaving out important details and characters that influence the Royal family; an example being the explosive relationship between Prince Charles and Princess Diana in the 1980s. All of this, however, just makes the show that much more intriguing.

The most popular genres currently are drama and action/adventure, but these were on top even before quarantine. There has been an increase in popularity in the science fiction and crime genres. Shows like The Flash, Stranger Things, and Criminal Minds are among the favorites on Netflix right now.

“I’m still watching Criminal Minds because I think behavioral profiling is fascinating, and I like seeing criminals being brought to justice,” senior Madi Braun said. Braun watched Criminal Minds at the beginning of quarantine and is still hooked.

I think behavioral profiling is fascinating, and I like seeing criminals being brought to justice.

— Madi Braun

The Mandalorian has also been climbing the ranks of science fiction TV shows as it is the first live-action TV series in the Star Wars franchise. Math teacher Stephanie Nord says that she unwinds at the end of the day by watching The Mandalorian. This two-series show is action-packed, well written, and has some quality characters.
Nord explains that she watches about three hours per week of her favorite show.

About 70 percent of high school students spend 4-8 hours watching their favorite show a week. Even college students find time to binge their favorite television shows like University of Minnesota freshman Nick Hong, “Generally, I will just put on some music or a sci-fi show while I do homework… so it’s not silent.” With students isolating at home, it can get lonely, so watching a TV show or two can help.

In terms of what to look forward to, many people are excited to see the new seasons of All American, Stranger Things, and Outer Banks. Teens are loving Outer Banks as the beach parties, scenery and boats allow them to dive into a new story and escape reality. Binge-watching a TV series or two can be a relatively healthy escape from the COVID-19 “quarantine blues.”