New ‘Fast and Furious’ movie canceled due to COVID-19

New+movie+poster+for+Fast+and+Furious+9.+The+new+Fast+and+Furious+movie+was+set+to+come+out+summer+of+2020+but+was+canceled+due+COVID-19.+Many+are+worried+this+will+affect+the+timeline+for+other+movies+in+the+franchise+and+the+cast+members.+

creative commons image through IMDB

New movie poster for Fast and Furious 9. The new Fast and Furious movie was set to come out summer of 2020 but was canceled due COVID-19. Many are worried this will affect the timeline for other movies in the franchise and the cast members.

Marisa Fredericks, Social Media Editor

The new Fast and Furious movie, “Fast and Furious 9”, directed by Justin Lin and written by Daniel Casey, was set to come out summer of 2020, but due to COVID-19 it was canceled. The movie will have almost the same cast as the last movie. The movie is now set to come out May 28, 2021, after a few more COVID-19 complications. Some fans of the series are worried that the cancellation will affect the timelines and cast of the movies in the feature but, others are not. 

In this movie, viewers see Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his crew join forces to battle the most skilled assassin and high-performance driver they’ve ever encountered, his brother. This is unlike the other movies because these movies always show that family is number one. Family is a theme amongst all the movies because the crew is practically a family because of things they all do together. 

“They are action packed, fast moving and teach you lessons about caring for family and never leaving anyone behind,” junior Trent Tillett described.

In the last movie, everyone had settled down and things were quiet until an unexpected challenge arose. Which caused the crew, then united, to bring home the man who made them a family, Dom, and stopped Cipher from unleashing chaos. Some think that movies have been different since Paul Walker, who plays Brian O’Conner, passed away. 

“It’s hard to describe but the passing of Paul kind of changed the whole vibe of the movie after he passed. Something always felt off,” junior Tucker Wyland said. 

Fans are also starting to notice that cars are not as important in the movies as they used to be. The first three movies were more about street racing and cars. The movies four through eight have been more action based. All the movies have still kept the crew together and kept it very based on the family.

When Wyland was asked about his opinion on the change in topics in the movies he said, “I feel the cars started to take more of a backseat role as early as the fifth movie.”

This franchise has brought in all sorts of ages, genders and backgrounds for its viewers. The movies bring family bonding experiences and teach good life lessons. The movies have also helped create memories and friendships. 

“They are action packed, fast moving and teach you lessons about caring for family and never leaving anyone behind,” junior Trent Tillett described.”

— Trent Tillet

Sophomore Adriana Schultz said that these movies bring her memories of watching the movies with her step dad. She also mentioned that the movie means a lot to her because of those “memories”. 

Since Fast and Furious 9 was canceled to COVID-19, some fans worried about how this would affect the movie and the future movies. Some believe this could for sure cause the other movies to be delayed and other issues with the current movie. 

When asked Tillett about his opinion on whether the cancellation would affect the series he said, “I do believe so yes, because if they do make another movie it won’t be for a long time and many only have some actors.” 

The franchise just released that they will be ending with an 11th film. Fans are not sure what the next two movies will hold, but they know for sure they will be about the crew. This does not mean that the Fast and Furious world will come to end, there are chances of still being spin off movies. Who knows what the future holds. 

Tillett is not sure what will happen because “Fast and Furious” always leaves him guessing but he does see the series going into a “long term continuation” of the crew member’s lives.