Hannah Hebert helps make the community a better place

Creative Commons photo by: John Phelan

Sophomore Hannah Hebert uses her Little Free Library she built for the community in front of her house. She hopes people will use it to start enjoying reading as much as she does.

Isabella Appert, Distribution Reporter

Sophomore Hannah Hebert has put a lot of effort into trying to make her community a better place this year. She built a Little Free Library with her dad on a hot day this summer, and put it in her front yard. She built the Little Free Library so people could start reading books, and maybe start to love reading as much as she does. It makes Hannah incredibly happy when she sees people using the Little Free Library she built with her dad this summer.  

“I would like to continue volunteering my time and service in the future based on the needs of others and the ways I can help,” Hannah said.

I would like to continue volunteering my time and service in the future based on the needs of others and the ways I can help”

— Hannah Hebert

Hannah is trying to do her part by giving back to her community in her hometown of Stillwater. She is trying to make the community a better place. Her family and friends think her work so far is amazing, like knitting hats for the homeless or organizing a book drive for elementary school kids.

Freshman Paige Hebert thinks her sister is “kind, outgoing and motivated.”

“I want to make the community a better place because I can. I like being able to make a positive difference in someone else’s life (even in a small way) we all can,” Hannah added.

In addition, Hannah loves reading and has since she was a little kid. She wants to share her love for reading all over the community. She hopes that the community can grow a passion for reading like she has. 

“Hannah continues to serve the community by planning a book drive at Stonebridge Elementary. She will even speak with the students about literacy and community engagement when she visits the school!” Paige said.

In the meantime, Hannah and Paige are also making a podcast together. Their podcast is called “QuaranTeens” and they have released three podcasts so far. They have a lot of fun making content together in their free time.

“We try to release a new episode every two weeks, where we talk about the teen perspective and different things that are happening right now. It has been so much fun and I can’t wait to create more episodes with her,” Hannah said.

“We’re like best friends and we make each other laugh a lot. We plan to talk about a variety of things affecting teens, and our goal is to educate and entertain our audience,” Paige added. 

Hannah made The Little Free Library and put it in her front yard. The Little Free Library is made for people to bring a book that they are finished reading, or do not like and exchange it for a new book from all the different options. She also organized a book drive for elementary school kids at their schools where they could purchase all sorts of different books to read.

“I made the Little Free Library and organized a book drive because I want to promote literacy in my community,” Hannah said.

Hannah came up with these ideas to help the community by herself while she was in quarantine and was bored. Her dad helped her put the Little Free Library together on a hot summer day in August. Hannah and her dad had a lot of fun with this project and hope to do another one together soon.

“She came up with the idea herself, and it was a great project for Hannah and our dad to work on together – Hannah created the design and then they built the entire thing together from scratch. They ended up making something wonderful and it continues to bring her joy every time she sees someone using it!” Paige said.

Due to COVID-19 and being stuck at home during the mandated quarantine, it has helped Hannah a lot with her effort to help the community. Instead of sitting on her phone all day, she researched and thought of different ways to help the community. She started making the community a better place at the beginning of quarantine in March, and still continues to this day. 

In Hannah’s experience, “COVID-19 has actually made it easier for me to give back to the community.” She feels like now she actually has the time and ability to help make the community a better place. 

Hannah added she would like to continue volunteering her time and service in the future based on the needs of others and the ways she can help.

“When our family needed to stay isolated at home, Hannah saw it as an opportunity to do good in the world. She started by knitting hats for the homeless when we first went into quarantine, and she recently built a little library for the community to share books,” Paige said.

“I want to make the community a better place because I can – I like being able to make a positive difference in someone else’s life (even in a small way) – we all can,” Hannah added.