Disney plus will be releasing Zach Sobiech ‘Clouds’ this October

Former+student+Zach+Sobiech+was+the+inspiration+for+the+upcoming+move+%27Clouds%27%2C+which+premiered+on+Disney+%2B+Oct.+15.+

Creative Commons photo by Lim Changwon on Unsplash

Former student Zach Sobiech was the inspiration for the upcoming move ‘Clouds’, which premiered on Disney + Oct. 15.

Macy Gonnion, Online Editor

“You don’t have to find out you’re dying to start living,” 17 year old Zach Sobiech said. At the age of 14, this Oak-Land Junior High School student was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a rare type of bone cancer that eventually took his life. 

Sobiech’s main goal was to live like there was no tomorrow, while being as positive as he could considering the circumstances. Throughout his challenges he shared his thoughts through music, which led to several songs written and performed during his short time. 

“What he did in his short life was more impactful than many of us who get to live longer,” science teacher Andrew Weaver said.

Sobiech’s positivity was so impactful that millions of people around the globe started to recognize him as a true inspiration. He now has a movie being made about his life journey through cancer and his music career which included a best-selling single by the same name “Clouds” which will be released Oct. 15. 

When asked about the upcoming movie release, Maddi Bohan, who is a 2013 SAHS graduate and former classmate of Sobiech shared, “I think that Clouds will be received with more of an open mind and open heart since the pandemic has made many people’s lives simpler and more appreciative.” 

You don’t have to find out you’re dying to start living.”

— Zach Sobiech

In this song Clouds, Sobiech shares how God had a plan for him and how he was not afraid to go. He wanted to embrace everyday with hope and optimism. In 2012, when Clouds was released, it hit number 0ne on iTunes. Currently, the song has more than eight million listens and Sobiech has more than 26,000 listeners per month. 

“He created great power and emotion in his music for people of all ages (mostly a passionate goodbye for his friends and family),” Weaver said. 

When Sobiech was 14 he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, which means he had cancerous tumours in his bones which led to tremendous pain and his eventual death in 2013. During his battle, Sobiech took part in many treatments and finally decided to stop further medical procedures to focus on living the last few months to his best ability. After Sobiech passed, his family established The Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund which has raised millions of dollars for Children’s Cancer Research Fund. 

“What affected me and most everyone I know was his positive attitude even though he knew he was facing death,” sophomore Lauren Klancher said about the impact Sobiech’s story has had on current students.

The movie Clouds is based on Sobiech’s story including his life as a high school student where he built many friendships including his high school girlfriend Amy Adamle, played by Madison Iseman.  Sobiech also had a really close friend named Sammy Brown, who is played by Sabrina Carpenter.

Counselor Dan Ralston thinks that since the movie Clouds will be on Disney+, it will receive a lot of attention and the Stillwater community will be “enormously entertained”. While also continuing to be inspired by a former Pony who made a big difference in our world. 

Bohan explained, “Zach Sobiech’s message has taught me to live each day to the fullest. It is truly remarkable how many people his story has touched.”