Stillwater Pony Express

Alm knows no bounds

His tall lean figure schlepps through the door, carrying the day’s ration of homework, sheet music and the notes from the numerous clubs and organizations he is responsible for. His slow, methodical movements are the only remnants that indicate his lack of sleep. His positive energy brings a unique presence to the room and sets everyone at ease. Senior Nick Alm is the student that many strive to be.

Beginning at a young age, Alm learned the importance of academic involvement.

“My 5th-6th grade teacher shaped me into who I am today. His name was Mr. Tasch. I wasn’t always the greatest kid and I didn’t always turn in my homework. Mr. Tasch honestly helped me realize my true potential and the benefits of dedication and hard work. I credit all of my achievements to the way he helped me become a better person when I was so young and naive to what I could do with myself,” said Alm.

From that point on he deeply embedded himself into school activities.

“I have been in Student Council and National Honor Society since ninth grade. I won my first student council election in six grade where I got to be part of our big fundraiser called Pennies for Patients. Ever since then I have loved school activities and projects,” said Alm staring off into the distance in obvious remembrance. “This year for Student Council I am a co-president. I lead all of our dances such as Snoball, along with our school and great community’s homecoming activities, blast week activities, blast grants for teachers and coordination of parent teacher conferences. I am also a student representative on the school board as part of my student council commitment. For NHS my tile is vice president and my main commitment is to our annual Coffeehouses along with assisting the other officers with blood drives, food drives, and service hour opportunities.”

Although praise and recognition is not expected from him, many see his impact daily.

Senior Paige Hietpas said with a smile, “Nick is an officer for orchestra and we are in senior council together.  Not only has Nick found success in leadership in school, but also in academics. I know Nick works really hard to expand his knowledge while still maintaining a balance with his social life.  He always makes time to make people’s days and always has something to say to cheer people up.  That itself I think is a big success, his ability to make regular high school days a little brighter.”

As humble as he may be, Alm has much to be proud of.

“One of my greatest achievements would be this years homecoming festivities. There were numerous new activities this year from window painting to handing out roughly 9000 wrist bands to the elementary and junior high schools to a massive pre-party before the game. It was a year of innovation for homecoming week and student council led the way. Last year’s winter Coffeehouse is also one of my greatest achievements raising almost $3000 for Zach Sobiech and putting on one of the most moving and emotional charity concerts that people still talk about today,” said Alm boastfully, his chest puffed out with pride.

It is no wonder then that his greatest successes are also a few of his favorite events to organize.

Alm explained, “My favorite event for NHS is by far the Coffeehouse. From start to finish there is a lot of work from auditions to ticket sales, to transforming our Black Box into an opera house of sorts. It is honestly the most rewarding event in the end knowing that the money raised will go to support a good cause. For student Council my favorite event is Snoball. It’s always a hit with the student body and it’s a great time coordinating a semi formal dance for people to get freaky at.”

Although he has been exceedingly successful, he also acknowledges his downfalls.

“One of my greatest failures would be the Monster Mash Dance. It was the only event I have ever done that has tanked and it was heartbreaking.If I could give my 9th grade self some advice it would be to not put Monster Mash the night before the ACT,” Alm said with a chuckle.

Regardless of the traumatizing nature of the dance, nothing  will hold him back from him back from the future but believes there is much to be learned from the past.

“I will either be going to the U of M or UW Madison to pursue a degree in some form of business. Possibly international business, we’ll see. After college I want to intern and work in New York City,” said Alm. “I think that the one thing that I would go back and change is appreciating life more. Appreciating the days that are so crazy I want to bang my head on the wall and the days where I’m so stressed I just want to walk out the main entrance and say ‘not today’. Those are the days that I will remember and I often take them for granted as I’m speeding through life.”

Hietpas contended saying, “As nobody quite knows where he is going to college yet, I best see him at a larger college.  I definitely see him having some sort of leadership position in school, whether that be student government or any other club for that matter.  I know he is going to expand his horizons and stand out in any school he goes to, just like he has done in high school.”

All in all Alm’s reach has put him in a position of respect from his peers while setting him up for life to come.

Junior Sophia Portelli said, “Nick never fails to make someone feel welcome and comfortable in a new situation.  He’s incredibly smart and always has phenomenal ideas to bring to the group.  He makes everything, even the smallest tasks, fun and exciting and gives his entire self to a project or friendship.Nick is most definitely going to go far in life. I can easily see him in a leadership position making a huge impact in anything he does.”