Stay at home keeps many awake

Creative Commons image through Flickr by Dan DeLuca

Since distance learning has started students are spending more time looking at their computer screens and have not been moving around as much. This can be detrimental to one’s sleep because it has become easier to not be active and lose track of the time.

Mylana Nederloe, Business Editor

It has become a part of our daily lives to talk and read about how quarantine has been affecting daily lives. However, many may not realize how much it affects one not getting enough sleep. A large number of teenagers have not been getting enough sleep since school went online. There are different reasons for this, but the largest factor is having a lack of a schedule.

Because not all teachers upload a weekly plan of upcoming assignments, this can create challenges. It makes it challenging for a student to make a weekly schedule on what needs to get completed.

“I don’t know if I am going to have six hours of homework or half an hour of homework…then I can’t plan if I need to wake up earlier,” junior Vivian Marchan said. “I just take it hour by hour.”

Graphic by Jaynie Diaz

Having to stay at home and social distance has created a lack of social interactions for many. Students can not spend time together or see each other like before quarantine. They cannot do the things they enjoy, for example, extracurriculars or sports. Therefore, they spend more time playing video games or are on their phone.

Sophomore Jorgie Kelley explained he spends most of his time playing video games with his friends. Because of this, he starts his academics later in the day due to the lack of human interaction quarantine has brought. 

A Harvard study shows studying in bed affects the quality of sleep in a negative way because it confuses the body and mind between the bedroom and sleep.

“I feel more productive and less tired when I am doing my homework at the table…I also noticed I got less work done when I did my homework in bed,” freshman Emilia Glynn said.

I feel more productive and less tired when I am doing my homework at the table…I also noticed I got less work done when I did my homework in bed,

— Emilia Glynn

When in quarantine students spend more time indoors because they cannot leave their houses to see friends or go to school. Because of this, they may not get enough sunlight and exercise during the day, which is important because it leads to a better night’s rest.

“I am pretty inactive and not moving as much. I just sit there at my computer screen and I do not get out as much because I am doing like six hours of homework a day,” Marchan said.

Naps can be both good and bad. A power nap can refresh and energize, however too many or too long of naps can hinder the sleep at night.

Not getting enough sleep causes grogginess and irritability, “I get less sleep but I take naps every day,” Kelly added. “I don’t get tired because I take naps that are two to four hours.”

Getting enough sleep and not staying up late is crucial because it heightens brainpower. Sleep also enhances mood and it overall improves and benefits all aspects of health and daily life.

“It has helped my daily routine because I stick to the same schedule every day and I have more time to make sure my school work is done well,” Glynn explained. “I also have more time to do the things I like and I feel very accomplished when I finish all of my work.”