Nutrition remains top priority for district as COVID-19 pandemic occurs

Kathleen Pothen, Copy Editor

The echoing cafeteria has been silent for the past month. The large lunch tables are folded up indefinitely. No lines for food wind through the serving stations. All the students that once frequented this space are home. Even as the cafeteria remains empty, the nutrition department has adapted rapidly to continue providing meals to students while school is not in session. Every Monday, in 14 locations, the staff hand out a full school week of free meals to all children between ages one and eighteen from 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Now with a decision from the governor to close schools, they will continue to provide meals until the end of the school year.

While spring break was occurring, the staff started to prepare. Because an event similar to this has never happened, there was no playbook to work from to ensure students were continuing to receive meals. 

Kelly Linquist, Supervisor of Nutrition Services, explained, ¨we were just thrown into the fire, we had two days to figure it out and we completely came up with it on our own.¨

The staff has been serving over 10,000 lunches and breakfasts in total per week. But this number continues to change.

Linquist said numbers are increasing weekly as the need in the community grows.

No qualifications are needed to receive meals to help ensure there are no unnecessary steps that may keep people away. All that is asked are the grades of the children picking up meals.

Linquist said there have been difficulties. The nutrition department plans every detail of their menus down to the type of packaging needed for transport. But due to shortages or problems in the supply chain, deliveries are sometimes delayed and this leaves them ¨scrambling¨ and asking, ¨What do we have? What can we make?¨ 

Foods included in these meals are cold or are able to be reheated at home. Fresh fruit and vegetables are being offered to ensure proper nutrition is being met as well.

we were just thrown into the fire, we had two days to figure it out and we completely came up with it on our own

Kitchen Manager Amy Richardson explained,¨Everybody gets a milk and a juice every day, along with fresh fruit and either a breakfast bread or a bagel, mini pancakes or mini cinnamon rolls, or benefit bars and it’s pretty much the same offerings that we have at school. For lunch, we have just switched from cold lunches like sandwiches, to some of our hot items that we’re preparing to be reheated at home. So we’ll be starting with pizza, chicken sandwiches, burgers, hotdogs.”

Social distancing is being ensured at pickup locations to protect both the staff and those that are picking up meals. Nutrition staff are not directly handing meals to families to lessen the risk of infection.

Registered dietician Amie Barr explained at Charter Oaks Townhomes, a sign instructs families to stand behind the sign and one at a time go and pick up their meals. The staff makes sure to refill the tables with more meals as they empty.

Many people value this service because it allows them to receive meals for their children and also avoid locations where one is at an increased risk of infection, such as the grocery store.

Linquist explained,¨We have parents who are so grateful you know some in tears when they come up to get their food… It’s really helped them that their meals are delivered right to their neighborhood.¨

All three agree they miss the face to face interaction with both students and their coworkers

Linquist added, ¨It’s like losing one job and getting hired for a completely different job.¨

At a time when many feel nothing is certain, the school lunch program has continued its ability to help those in need. The school nutrition department in the past has worked continuously in the background providing essential meals.  Now during this pandemic, they may be the only direct contact families have with their schools.   

Here are the pick up locations and addresses courtesy of the district

Afton-Lakeland Elementary School, 475 St Croix Trail S, Lakeland (entrance 17W)

Andersen Elementary School, 309 4th St N, Bayport

Brookview Elementary School, 11099 Brookview Rd, Woodbury

Charter Oaks Townhomes, 1110 Curve Crest Blvd W, Stillwater 

Cimarron Youth Center in Lake Elmo

Lakeside Townhomes playground, 401 Lake View Alcove, Woodbury

Gateway Place in Woodbury 

Lake Elmo Elementary School, 11030 Stillwater Blvd N, Lake Elmo

Lily Lake Elementary School, 2003 W Willard St., Stillwater

Oak Park Building, 6355 Osman Ave N, Stillwater

Rutherford Elementary School, 115 Rutherford Rd, Stillwater

Stillwater Area High School (check in at the gymnasium entrance labeled 3W), 5701 Stillwater Blvd N, Oak Park Heights

Stillwater Middle School, 523 Marsh St W, Stillwater

Stonebridge Elementary School, 900 Owens St N, Stillwater