Synchronized swimmers hold their breath for season

Photo courtesy Jennifer Koenning

Photo courtesy Jennifer Koenning

Nick Wanovich

Synchronized swimming, a sport growing out of water ballet in which swimmers, in solo, duet and team efforts, perform dance-like routines. It’s a sport that fuses together gymnastics, endurance, strength and hair gel.

The Stillwater Area High School synchronized swim team consists of about 58 girls who perform either duets, solos or group pieces. They are judged by a number scale from zero to 10.

The physical labor that these swimmers go through each practice is draining and the endurance, stamina and strength they build helps them in every aspect of their lives.

According to www.active.com an article by Lisa Roberts stated, “Top synchro swimmers can hold their breath underwater for a minute or more while performing kicks and splits with their legs. And the cardio workout, with water providing muscle-building resistance, can burn several hundred calories a session.”

It looks like it’s going to be another promising season for the Ponies.

“Our team has consistently been amazing, we’ve never gotten anything other than first or second at state, so I have high expectations for this year! It seems like everyone’s been doing a good job of staying in shape doing club synchro, so I think we’ll pretty much be able to pick up where we left off last year,” said senior Katie Koenning.

Synchronized swimming is a sport that for many people goes unrecognized, but with such a successful past the Ponies receive plenty of glory. They aren’t worried about swimming without the senior they lost. This year they have a solid senior class with many talented underclassmen who are ready to prove themselves.

“We only graduated one senior off of our top team, so we have pretty much the same team as last year, which is solid. Our new girls did an amazing job last year-we were about 50 points up from the year previous at sections because of them, so I think we have a lot to look forward to in terms of watching those girls improve and score even more points,” said Koenning.

With high hopes for the season, it will be interesting to see what these girls can do.

5 Responses to “Synchronized swimmers hold their breath for season”

1. Danny Ekstrand on March 31st, 2014 1:40 pm

I didn’t like the title at first but after reading the article it totally made sense. I thought it was a very good article with some very helpful data, but I would link the website you got the info from not the holding breath part. Very good article.

2. Virginia VanLieshout on April 1st, 2014 3:43 pm

While the headline was really cute, I really didn’t think it reflected the article well. In addition, there was only one person interviewed and it would have been interesting to hear from the other team members as well. Good article though!

3. Jessica Thomas on April 1st, 2014 6:13 pm

This article was well written and very informative to a person like me who doesn’t know much about the sport. The quotes chosen added greatly tot he article and makes me excited for their season.

4. Natalie Gjermo on April 1st, 2014 10:12 pm

Nice article. It really helped me understand more about synchronized swimming and how mentally and physically fit you have to be to do it. The quotes were great and really helped the story.

5. Emily Lodahl on April 1st, 2014 10:19 pm

What made me want to come to this article was the headline. It is appealing and brought me right in. You gave a nice insight to their expectations for the season as well as the background of synchronized swimming. Good job!

• Synchronized swimmers hold their breath for season

Photo Slide Shows

Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

Photo Slide Shows

Boys tennis team serving up high expectations

Sports

Boys, girls track teams begin season

Photo Slide Shows

Synchro team shoots for success

Photo Slide Shows

Baseball starts season training in Kansas City

Read & Watch

Ultimate frisbee team gains momentum

Photo Slide Shows

Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Pinning down state wrestling tournament

Photo Slide Shows

Lacrosse team among best in conference

Photo Slide Shows

Softball trains hard, prepares for season