Jessie Diggins’ book slides into shelves

John Franklin, Copy Editor-in-Chief

When people think about alumni from Stillwater, one of the first names that pops to the head is Jessie Diggins. Diggins, a 2010 Stillwater graduate, placed second in the 2017-18 nordic skiing world cup and won a gold medal in the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018. On March 10, she released her book called Brave Enough.

Her book reveals the story of how she went from a girl living in Afton, Minn., to an Olympic champion. Diggins tells about the various hardships she had along the way, such as bulimia, an eating disorder.

“I’m honored to have played a role in inspiring Jessie on her journey to Olympic Gold. Brave Enough is a befitting title for this brutally honest and powerful story,” Olympic Medalist Jackie Joyner-Kearse said, according to Diggins’ website.  “As an athlete, Jessie was brave enough to win on the world’s biggest sporting stage. As a writer, she is brave enough to share a raw, heart-wrenching, nothing-held-back look at the struggles she went through to succeed. It’s an inspiring story, worthy of gold.”

To everyone who reserved a ticket and is excited about Brave Enough…thank you so much. I’m so sorry that I will not be able to meet you all, personally sign your book, and answer your questions”

— Jessie Diggins

In April of 2018, Diggins came to Stillwater Area High School to share her experience as a professional nordic skier with students. Her main message was she always tries her best, even on days when she does not feel like it.

“Her message is to do your best, because it’s all you can do,” School Board member Mark Burns said.

Diggins’ book was supposed to be released on April 5, where she would also have hosted a book signing at Stillwater Area High School. Yet the COVID-19 outbreak is forcing everyone to stay at home and self-quarantine.

“To everyone who reserved a ticket and is excited about Brave Enough…thank you so much. I’m so sorry that I will not be able to meet you all, personally sign your book, and answer your questions,” Diggins said, according to eventbrite.com.  “I was looking forward to all the hugs and high-fives, which will of course have to wait until a later date! We are working on alternative options, and I just wanted to let you know that I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm for the book! It means the world to me. Stay safe and healthy this spring, and keep finding ways both big and small to be Brave Enough.”

“Brave enough” is a great book by Jessie Diggins.  She shares her ups and downs, but ultimately, she shares her inspiration to keep doing great things.