Prom: more than just a dance

The Myth Live event center plans to host prom on May 2. The Myth is a modern, general-admission venue for rock, alternative, electronic and hip-hop acts.

Fair Use Image By GFY Real Estate

Jack Taverna, SNO Sports Center and Social Media Editor

Prom was supposed to be held May 2 for juniors and seniors at the Myth Live before the COVID-19 pandemic happened. Planning had been in the works for months and students were excited. 

Senior Holden Hammerlund explained he was excited to hang out with his friends, get food and then have fun at the prom.

Prom is an important event for most high school students. This is because prom is one of the last events students have with each other until graduation. However, due to coronavirus safety concerns, schools are closed and many anticipate prom will be canceled.

From a senior’s philosophy, I think they just look at prom, kind of like, their last ride.

— Austin Johnson

“From a senior’s philosophy, I think they just look at prom, kind of like, their last ride. It is the last kind of school dance they will ever get to go to, at least their high school career. I mean obviously it depends if they go to college and there’ll be stuff at some colleges, but it’s kind of like they’re kind of like going out with a bang,¨ junior Austin Johnson said. 

Just because prom was planned to be held on May 2, does not mean students were going to prepare like any other dance. This is prom, the most important dance of the year, so students began planning in advance. 

Junior Mishell Cortez explained how she started getting ready for prom two months before. She was going to look for a dress, shoes and find a person who is going to do her makeup.

Just like last year, prom will be held at the Myth Live event center. Students were excited to hear this because of how fun the atmosphere is.

¨I feel like The Myth is a great place to have prom. I have been there before in the past and it’s such a cool place to party,¨ Johnson said. 

When asking that special somebody to prom, people were planning on going over the top and making signs with a cheesy punch line. This is a promposal and they are common when prom is near.

¨I think it’s really cute when like a guy asks a girl to prom with a promposal. I really like it because it shows they care. It shows that they have feelings towards them, maybe like in a romantic way or just like in a friend way but it shows they really want to go into a dance with them,¨ Cortez said.

Prom is not just a dance for students. Seniors see prom as a final send-off. It is one of the last events they will experience before they grow up. But now, it may be taken away from them. Recently, the prom committee rescheduled prom for mid-May and many students are hopeful prom will happen on this new date.