Kaitlin Bennett gives journalism bad name

Creative Commons image through Creative Commons by Mitch Frey

“You know I carry, right?” is one of Kaitlin Bennett’s most used lines while she interviews people. Guns are the main topic she talks about when she interviews people. Usually, she responds with her phrase after they show distress in her close-minded thoughts.

Emma Wagner, Copy Editor

Peaceful protests are supposed to be peaceful, not filled with self employed journalists attempting to impose their views on children. That is not journalism, that is borderline harassment. 

Kaitlin Bennett is known for interviewing people about guns, the LGBTQ+ community and abortion. However, her tactics of interviewing cannot be considered real journalism. Her definition  of interviewing people consists of condescending questions with a harsh tone, and when people did not agree with her opinion, she follows them and taunts them until she feels like she has proved a point.

Unfortunately, the media loves it. They publicize her podcast and spread her name online, enabling her to continue engaging in false journalism. 

“She uses her political beliefs to oppress people and put people down if they’re not straight, cis-gender, or white,” sophomore Jack Distad said.

She uses her political beliefs to oppress people and put people down if they’re not straight, cis-gender, or white,”

— Jack Distad

The whole basis of being a journalist is reporting the news with an unbiased opinion. Most news networks will not let a reporter write a news story on a story they have written an editorial on in the past. This is to protect society and make sure the rules of journalism are being followed.

However, Bennett seems to do her own thing. While she interviews people on the streets, she usually mocks them when they present her with an answer that is different from her own opinion. An interviewee should feel comfortable being interviewed to obtain their true opinions on a subject.

“She purposely does things to get a rise out of people and then call them triggered, psycho liberals,” Distad said. “Everything she does is to make people angry and to evoke a reaction out of people.”

Being a journalist is quite similar to being a teacher, at least in a sense where forcing bias in the workplace is frowned upon. Obtaining the role of a journalist or a teacher is a respected role held high to informing the public while also maintaining to be neutral. It is rare to see a teacher forcing their opinion on students, so the widespread support from the media of Bennett’s push on the public is unfair.

“I teach gov., and honestly, I have my own opinions on politics which I won’t really discuss,” U.S. History teacher Jason Caballero said, “but, part of the whole thing about perspective is that if I want people to understand the thing I’m arguing, I also need to understand the other side and why they argue that and be able to have a conversation.”

Society is consistently changing. People are more eager to debate rationally rather than to fight. Society is becoming more accepting of different ways of life, and to see people being blatantly negative to others trying to promote acceptance is disheartening. Bennett succeeds at bullying the tolerant. Her remarks patronize the majority of society that tolerates acceptance. She even goes as far as to claim, “racism doesn’t exist.”

“Racism is just going to be there no matter what and it does suck. It is probably like one of the biggest problems in the country and it’s still very prevalent in the modern world,” junior Missa Lunzer said. “We should fight it, or actually, we can.”

Distad said he remembers seeing her dress up as a Native American with a headdress and offensive makeup with moccasins and went around asking people what they thought. The reactions people had were negative.

Bennett is allowed to preserve her opinion. Enabling people to have different points of view on the same subject provokes a learning experience for both sides. It is a human right to be able to form one’s own thoughts on society. However, in journalism, forcing opinions on the public will retain a negative image of the profession. Bennett needs to learn to be more tolerant of Americans and to stay away from journalism.