Join the Pony Express!

You have limited slots in your schedule; we get it. Time is tight.

So why take English 11 Newspaper? Several reasons:

Pony Express Video Team

A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE

Being part of a nationally-recognized program looks great on a college application. The Pony Express newspaper is a nationally and locally recognized paper of excellence. The newspaper has won 1st place rankings from Quill and Scroll for the past 18 years. In addition, it has earned top rankings from Minnesota High School Press Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. Individual students have also placed in writing, photography, advertising, and page layout and design.

THE SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN

Newspaper is a hands-on course that gives students an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of communication through journalistic writing, broadcast video, photography, advertising, computer design, and copy editing. The class atmosphere is fun and mirrors that of a true newspaper publication. It will provide you with a real-world work

environment that will prepare you for college and beyond. You will develop skills that will stick with you, even if you don’t pursue journalism as a career.

Click here for the official registration handout.

IT COUNTS!

SAHS offers English 11 Newspaper as a regular-level junior English. Incoming juniors may also choose to enroll in traditional English classes (on-level or Advanced Placement) and take English 11 Newspaper as an elective. For incoming seniors, Newspaper is an elective English Newspaper course.

JOURNALISM MATTERS

A research study of 31,175 college students conducted in 2008

found that students with journalism experience in high school earned higher scores than non-journalism students in these areas:

High school overall grade point average

• ACT Composite score

• ACT English score

• College freshman English grade

Study conducted for the Newspaper Association of America Foundation by Jack Dvorak, Ph.D., director of the High School Journalism Institute and a professor at the School of Journalism at Indiana University

Pullquote Photo

Mrs. Steil

— Rachel Steil, MJE, has advised the award-winning Pony Express newspaper at Stillwater Area High School since 1999. She was awarded the Minnesota Journalism Education Advisor of the Year in 2018. Prior to teaching, Rachel interned at KARE 11, NBC affiliate, and ABC’s “Nightline” with Ted Koppel.

ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES

Being a member of the staff means that you will have the opportunity to attend national journalism conventions.

Pony Express provides a sense of belonging. When you enroll in the Pony Express, you join a family with hundreds of alums going back almost 23 years. Pony Express is a community where you can be yourself and belong.