Moms Demand Action fight to stop gun violence, start responsible gun ownership laws

Alexis Brainard, Online Editor

Graphic by Drew Jurek

Moms Demand Action is an organization that focuses on preventing and stopping gun violence in the United States. They fight for public safety and push for responsible gun ownership. The groups have meetings and activities to spread awareness in different communities.

“I like owning a gun, that is why we have the second amendment,” sophomore Dylan Stickan said.

M.D.A started on December 15, 2012, after the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting where a total of 26 people were killed, including 20 kids between six and seven years old and six adult staff members.

“Teachers should be able to carry firearms, but there should be rules and it depends on the districts view,” Stickan said.

Firearms are the second leading cause of death for young people. One hundred Americans die by gun violence everyday, and hundreds more are wounded. 

“Four point five million kids under 18 are living nationwide in homes with loaded guns. We are pushing for safe gun storage within M.D.A,” Erika Oesterreich M.D.A group leader for Stillwater said.

Four point five million kids under 18 are living nationwide in homes with loaded guns. We are pushing for safe gun storage within M.D.A.”

— Erika Osterrich

Shannon Watts started the whole thing. She formed it to fight for public safety measures that can protect people from gun violence and to stop gun violence after the shooting at S.H.E.S.

“Gun control needs to be stricter for people with mental health conditions that make them dangerous to others,” senior Aaron Mozey said.

Since the group” started there are nearly six million supporters and more than 350,000 donors. There are chapters in every state and they are winning against the gun lobby.

“All our groups are made out of volunteers. Here in Minnesota, we have over 30 groups pushing for something to be done with gun violence,”  Oesterreich said.

M.D.A is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country. They are pushing to keep everyone safe and pushing to inform as many people as they can about gun violence.

“To stop mass shootings we need to first address the problem of mental health. Identifying mentally ill people and getting them the help they need before they turn to violence is one way to stop a shooting,” Mozey said.

The United States homicide rate is 25 times that of other high-income countries. If gun violence can be lowered or stopped, communities would be safer.

“There are laws in place to stop reckless use but even with these laws things will happen, the best that can be done is train people to safely handle firearms and prevent unwell people with bad intentions form acquiring them,” Mozey said.