A vape/electronic cigarette is pictured. Devices such as the one above, are popular among teenagers to deliver vape juices. Many of which contain nicotine. For assistance with addiction stop by the the Wellness Center located at Stillwater Area High School. One can also call Smoker’s Helpline, 1-800-363-5864, to receive phone side advice and information about addiction treatment . (Photo by Isaak Sahulka)
A vape/electronic cigarette is pictured. Devices such as the one above, are popular among teenagers to deliver vape juices. Many of which contain nicotine. For assistance with addiction stop by the the Wellness Center located at Stillwater Area High School. One can also call Smoker’s Helpline, 1-800-363-5864, to receive phone side advice and information about addiction treatment .

Photo by Isaak Sahulka

Addiction always comes with vaping

October 22, 2019

When people vape, they vape nicotine. Even if it is vape juice that says 0 mg of nicotine, there are traces of nicotine still found in some juices. Nicotine is a drug that is highly addictive and used in smoking products such as vape juice and cigarettes. People know nicotine is in these products, but still continue to use them.

One thousand three hundred people each day die from nicotine-related smoking products. Most people think it cannot happen to them. They believe those people are just unlucky, but in reality they have an extremely high chance it will happen to them, especially if one use smoking products for over 10 years. This much is known from cigarettes but vaping we do not know much information about.  The FDA does not know exactly how the ingredients inside the juice really affect users.

“The vapor and electronic cigarette has health issues that could cause deaths but they’re still researching that, but it’s clear that there’s there’s some huge health risks and dangers involved since all the popcorn lung stuff has come out this summer,” Assistant Principal Matt Kraft speaks on the unknowingness of vaping.

The vapor and electronic cigarette has health issues that could cause deaths but they’re still researching that, but it’s clear that there’s there’s some huge health risks and dangers involved since all the popcorn lung stuff has come out this summer,

— Matt Kraft

People still have very little clue about what they are exactly vaping. Even though all this new research is coming out, people still do not stop because it is addicting. Cancer, popcorn lung and other diseases do not scare people as much as losing that sensation of vaping nicotine and with the flavors that come with vaping. Teenagers are vaping and getting nicotine in their blood stream at a young age.

“People get exposed to vaping through older people like I would say juniors and seniors because they want to seem cool,” junior Donovan Roddy said.

This is how younger teenagers are getting addicted to vaping nicotine. Their older peers are giving vaping products to them at such a development stage where if they are still growing with this addiction this could be a problem for their life. 

Addiction is hard especially at the high school age. Kraft explains after someone takes this important step, other measures can be done to treat the addiction both physically and mentally.

The first thing that they’re going to want to do is without shame, is go to a trusted adult, and just talk to that trusted adult, that could be a teacher, it can be a parent, it can be a family member, it can be a counselor, the nurse, and just, and just talk about their use of electronic cigarettes,” Kraft said.

If need of help go to someone trusted and talk about the situation. Make an informed decision and get the proper and necessary help. A hotline for addiction to nicotine related products call the number 1-800-363-5864 for phone side assistance.  

• J

jack TavernaDec 17, 2019 at 7:53 am

I love this topic. I really like how you are trying to tell how vaping can hurt us. I did not know some of the consequences vaping does. If more people read this story, vaping will go down.

Reply
  • E

Ella NelsonNov 13, 2019 at 9:31 pm

This is such an important issue to cover, especially for high school students. Great use of facts to support your theme of addiction through nicotine. The message in this article is clear and significant, which is shown through the in-depth research and compelling quotes. Great work!

Reply
  • E

Eleanor GagNov 11, 2019 at 3:59 pm

This story was really interesting and important to read because it is such an important issue to address. Your facts really showed the long term effects and how it is not okay to use nicotine. Your sources were also really reliable sources like having an assistant principal and a student themselves which is most effective to a high school student reader.

Reply
3