Global climate change strike attracts local protestors

Students+gather+at+St.+Paul+capital+on+Sept.+29+to+protest+climate+change.+Students%27+handmade+vibrant+signs+in+hopes+to+catch+the+government%27s+attention.+

Students gather at St. Paul capital on Sept. 29 to protest climate change. Students' handmade vibrant signs in hopes to catch the government's attention.

Photo submitted by Hazel Flock

Photo submitted by Hazel Flock

Photo submitted by Hazel Flock

Paige Sanders, Photography Editor-in-chief

A global climate change protest took place in major cities all across the globe, including St. Paul on Sept. 29. Protestors and young climate activists gathered at the state capitol to protest climate change in hopes for a green and clean future. A significant amount of students skipped school to protest for their future. A majority of the people who attended the climate change strike were teenagers hoping for a change.

Senior Grace Roeske said she “couldn’t believe the amount of people that showed up and over 8,000 people attended to support this climate crisis.”

Protests inspiring change for a future healthy environment 

This climate change protest inspired significant amounts of local teachers, students, and staff all across the state. These people took time out of their day to protest for the environment’s future.

“It was important for me to take time out of my day to protest because I knew I had a voice,” senior Omar Omar said. “I saw what was happening all around the world right in front of my eyes and I knew something had to be done.”

Climate change is a harsh subject to talk about due to a unpredicted and frightening future that could quickly sneak up on the world. However, there is hope if human civilization acts now and fast.

“I think there is room for optimism,” environmental science teacher Andrew Weaver said. “Renewable energy is on the rise, our populus is getting better informed, carbon capture is being tested and refined, and even diet is changing to better use local landscapes and negate methane.”

Angry and active protesters stood in front of the capital with signs that explained their emotion and frustration about climate change. These protestors felt as if human civilization will not have much time if nothing is being done to reverse climate change. However, a great portion of protestors felt as if their voices were heard.

Renewable energy is on the rise, our populus is getting better informed, carbon capture is being tested and refined, and even diet is changing to better use local landscapes and negate methane.”

— Andrew Weaver

“I felt angry at the politicians and fossil fuel giants that hear our continuous cries for change with nothing being done,” Omar said. “But, I felt empowered that our voices were heard from our strong protests.”

Teenagers eager for change

This younger generation of teens feel responsible to take action now. Teenagers will have to live with a damaged planet or change it for the better. The future awaits for these young climate activists.

“This is the time to act now and if the government chooses to ignore us, we will not stop until we get the solution we deserve,” Roeske said. “We deserve to have a future, and one that is livable.”

Teenagers and young adults have been highly invested in climate change as they want to improve the future environment and the overall health of the planet.

Weaver said, “This young current generation is doing more than any political group or government is willing to do.”

United Nations Climate Summit

Sixteen year-old Swedish climate activist, Greta Thunberg, gave a powerful and emotional speech at the United Nations Climate Summit on Sept. 29th. Her speech greatly impacted both adults and teens across the globe and inspired many to protest. Thunberg’s speech lashed out world leaders as she often reminded them that adults are turning to young people to solve the climate change crisis. In addition, she repeatedly said “How dare you”, targeting world leaders.

Omar said he completely agrees with Thunberg and students should be in schools learning, not striking against something that the government needs to act on.

A future without immediate action involves sea levels to rise, forests to burn, a demolished North and South Pole, and the human population to significantly decline from natural disasters. In hopes for a reverse in climate change and a green and clean future, young adults and teenagers will make sure their voices are heard and their actions are seen by government authority.

“This is a climate crisis, it’s happening fast and we need system change, not climate change,” Omar said.